Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 31771 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2020, 02:24:40 PM »
I'd be interested in your thoughts on that ("As Told in the Great Hall"?) book, Andy, once you've finished it.

I remember being tempted in the past, but then recall having read a scathing review or three (not, I see, borne out by the scores on Amazon though).

Did you buy it recently, as it seems to be hard to get hold of at the moment?

Simon

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2020, 09:34:09 AM »
I bought it about two years ago, although it was actually published in 2013. Only glanced at the rules section, but they seem a bit old school to me. The main interest for me is the battles and their accompanying maps, which could be used as scenarios for the PP rules. I would think any books on the Dark Ages are going to attract some bad reviews, as there are so many different interpretations of what went on during those 600 years after the collapse of Rome. For example, I really like his idea that the Battle of Brunanburgh was fought around the river Dibbin in Bromborough on the Wirral because this is where I lived as a boy, on Dibbinsdale Road, with the Dibbin marking the back boundary of our garden. (It was a 12 acre garden, as my mum and dad ran a childrenís home). Itís nice to think that Dark Age warriors may have clashed where I used to play as a boy. However, there are at least four other suspected sites for the battle, all with academic backing, eg Michael Wood puts it elsewhere.

Andy

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »
Thanks Andy - that is a helpful perspective.

Simon

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
Iíll provide more information as I read through it.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2020, 09:33:19 PM »
I've just finished reading The Cretan Runner, by George Psychoundakis.

While mostly covering the post-invasion occupation, it's a fascinating and fast-paced account, translated from Cretan Greek by none other than Patrick "I kidnapped a German General" Leigh Fermor himself, who worked with Mr P in "The Service".

Highly recommended for some period flavour.

Simon