Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 26813 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2019, 01:14:35 PM »
I've just finished reading The Fall of Eben Emael, in the Osprey Raid series.

It gives a good overview of the raid on the fort and on the various river crossings that were part of the wider airborne attack in May 1940.

Having previously just read Bruce Quarry's Fallschirmjaeger book, also by Osprey, much of the introduction felt very familiar. There were also some errors in the French used, which made me wonder about the rest. Bizarrely the pages were cut with a significant vertical offset, so the page numbers were almost lost and a white strip appears at the top of each page. Quotes from secondary sources are also used quite heavily, although in at least one case the source publication is not listed in the Bibliography.

These niggles apart, there are some nice illustrations and the book gave me a rapid "way in" to this action.

Next up is the more in-depth Tim Saunders book in the Battleground Europe series.

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »
Ladybird books on Cromwell and Napoleon.

Large pinches of salt may be required I fear

Ivan Zaitzev

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »
I've just finished reading The Fall of Eben Emael, in the Osprey Raid series.

It gives a good overview of the raid on the fort and on the various river crossings that were part of the wider airborne attack in May 1940.

Having previously just read Bruce Quarry's Fallschirmjaeger book, also by Osprey, much of the introduction felt very familiar. There were also some errors in the French used, which made me wonder about the rest. Bizarrely the pages were cut with a significant vertical offset, so the page numbers were almost lost and a white strip appears at the top of each page. Quotes from secondary sources are also used quite heavily, although in at least one case the source publication is not listed in the Bibliography.

These niggles apart, there are some nice illustrations and the book gave me a rapid "way in" to this action.

Next up is the more in-depth Tim Saunders book in the Battleground Europe series.

Have you read "Silent Attack: The Taking of the Bridges at Veldwezelt, Vroenhoven and Kanne in Belgium by German Paratroops, 10 May 1940". As the title indicates, it deals with other part of the same Airborne operation.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »
Ivan,
I have not (yet!), but thank you for pointing me in that direction! Maybe another one to add to the reading list...
Simon

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
I have finished Tim Saunders' Fort Eben Emael 1940 (Battleground Europe). This was a great read, going in to rather more detail than the Osprey book, with loads of photos and some useful plans too, if not quite as polished as Osprey's much shorter title.

The possibility of a Belgian counter-attack while the German paras were severely depleted and their reinforcements delayed, is an intriguing "what if" - I wonder if there's a game in there somewhere...

Brian Cameron

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
I'm currently reading through a number of books on the Indian Mutiny (Battles of by Edwardes, Great Mutiny by Hibbert, The Indian Mutiny by Saul David).  The period has never appealed to me previously but the it has more potential than I had thought.  The mutineer armies are largely inert in battles but that could make it suitable for solo  or coperative play.  Possibly the most important factor in the battles was fatigue due to the heat so that troops were only capable of limited effort and something I'm giving thought to representing without a lot of record keeping.  Quite nice from the command point of view as leaders often place themselves at the head of a unit and lead it forward.  If only those nice people at PP produced a range...  I have a certain amount of scenery from dabbling with 'Clive in india' years ago so it might be 6mm.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2020, 01:12:28 PM »
If you fancy something a little bigger than 6mm Pendraken produce a pretty comprehensive 10mm range. I find 6mm buildings work well with 10mm figures (see my latest Walter Schnaffs post - 10mm figures and 6mm buildings).

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2020, 06:38:57 PM »
Leman I think you're posting in the wrong place, about figures etc. this is what I am reading post.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »
Leslie, Brian posted about reading books on the Indian Mutiny which had fired his enthusiasm, but as he had invested in 6mm buildings felt that he might look at 6mm figures. I merely pointed out an alternative to him. Personally I have no interest in gaming Britainís foot stamping around the world prior to the 1990s, especially given the flag waving and flag burning antics recently in the news.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
I've just finished "Crete: The Battle for Heraklion 1941 (The Campaign Revealed Through Allied and Axis Accounts)", published by Helion.

This is a labour of love by its author, serving Greek Navy officer Yannis Prekatsounakis, who was born in Heraklion and has made the battle the subject of extensive study over many years, including interviews with a good number of the Cretan combatants. There are the usual editing blips from such a "small scale" publisher (but mostly around the illustrations e.g. several photos are included more than once), but overall the English itself is excellent: drawing on sources in 3 languages has provided a deep and rich perspective. Since the Germans were buried where they fell, identifying the original location of temporary graves allows one to map the ebb and flow of battle: even in some cases down to who shot whom.

This is a fascinating book packed full of photos - both contemporary and modern. I haven't included any Heraklion scenarios in the Crete Playtest Day (much of it was street fighting, which probably wouldn't work too well on the tabletop), but the battle for the town was clearly another case of "a close-run thing", and the book includes useful general information for the Crete campaign.

Simon