Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 11917 times)

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
Well they were quite happy to make a feature film about an Irish terrorist/freedom fighter not too long back. Oh yes - Hereward the Wake - Terrorist! May he rot in hell for taking up arms against the Norman invaders.
Napoleon Bonaparte - terrorist. The war was over in 1814. How dare he ignore the rules of war.

As far as I know none of the above were signatories to the Hague and Geneva conventions (those treaties inconveniently forbid terrorism/insurgency after a surrender). The above post could well be construed as an attempt of a supporter of terrorism to move the goal posts in order to defend illegal warfare.   ;)

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2018, 05:27:30 PM »
Way beyond my comprehension or care. Anyone seen my hoplites?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2018, 08:29:59 PM »
You can get cream for them these days. Nurse!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
I'd been holding off on Beevor's Arnhem until it came out in paperback on Amazon (some months off still, I think). But I found it at WH Smith in paperback, and fell for the "buy-one-get-the-second-for-half-price" deal and so got Hastings' Vietnam book too. I may not open the latter for sometime, though, until I've recovered from the marathon of reading his previous offering. Still, nice to know I have something in store for the next holidays.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »
I've now read most of Hastings work...Secret War and a couple of the earlier books I've yet to tackle. I enjoy his style. Have you tried Audible? It's a great way of powering through a book on a long commute/trip to a show/holiday drive. I'm teeing Arnhem up for my journey darn sarf on Friday. Close on 5 hours each way once you factor in traffic and a comfort stop 😣

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
With English traffic you'll have the time to listen twice!!!

Even with the reduction of general speed limits here from 90 to 80 journey times are still great!!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2018, 08:08:09 PM »
Sadly very true Les. Hopefully not going to test my record of 6 hours door  to door this week.

pigsticker

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Max Hasting's Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2018, 10:51:11 PM »
Last week I was pleased to pick up a HB copy of Max Hasting's Catastrophe: Europe Goes to War 1914 from WH Smiths at the 'silly' price of 6.00:https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/catastrophe-europe-goes-to-war-1914-max-hastings/9780007974344

Good to get you in the mood for the next BAD Square Bashing Day at Daventry 2019.  Date TBA but back to an EW theme.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2018, 11:58:10 PM »
Bought myself a copy too Ray. I already have it on Kindle but I do love a nice hardback book for the shelf.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2018, 12:00:15 AM »
I've pre ordered the new Uhtred book from Bernard Cornwall. Formulaic, definately. Predictable, of course. Loose and fast with history, maybe. But I for one am really looking forward to it 😁

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
Just over halfway through King Arthur - the true story. An interesting but very convoluted read by two young authors in the early 90s who bear an uncanny resemblance to Sparks. The most recent books I have read on this subject are looking purely at historical evidence, but these two chaps also look at the myths and legends surrounding the emergence of the medieval romances as well. It does bear the hallmarks of getting the evidence to fit the story, with plenty of provisos along the way, but nevertheless is an entertaining read.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2018, 01:18:22 AM »
Just started 'Ring of Steel' by Alexander Watson. This is an account of the First World War but from the perspective of Germany and Austro Hungary. It's a weighty tome and I'm only just getting into it, but it's a perspective I've never read about before so should be Interesting!