Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 26815 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Currently Reading
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:53:20 PM »
This topic appears on other forums and I think is a goos way for recommendations etc.

On my list at the moment is the new Hugh Seabag Montifore book on the Somme (listening to it on audible) and also reading an old book on the Vietnam War, 'The 10,000 Day War' which is a detailed overview of the whole period post WW2 upto Saigon.

I'm going to take up Martins recommendations for a more tactical view of the Vietnam War and pick up 'Life and Death in the Central highlands'. After playtesting the new Men of Coy B I'm in a Vietnam kind of a mood  ;D

SimonC

• RFCM admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »
Thinking back to my war studies days, I recall-

Dispatches - Michael Herr
Chicken hawk - Robert mason
If I die in a combat zone - Tim OBrien

Being recommended reading.

On a related note during the half term break I read 'wings on my sleeves' by Eric Winkle which was an interesting, light read. I especially like the descriptions of the scramble to recover the German jets directly after the cessation of conflict. Those 13 Arado jet bombers are too cool for school  8)

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
As a curved ball I am going with the book I am reading, Twelve, set in Russia in 1812, in which the Russians employ 12 mysterious mercenaries from Wallachia who are capable of killing a large number of Frenchmen, but only at night.

SimonC

• RFCM admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »
Twelve , a bit like a retro version of fiends of the eastern front from 2000ad many moons ago :)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
I am about to start "The last panther" about a German breakout in 1945.  The 1945 is of great intetest to me as it takes place in chaos with little chunks of order. In addition you have armies which know they have won and are changing their intent and purpose.   There is a good Max Hastings book called Armageddon?  Full of great anecdotes etc.

martin

Hammerwise

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
As far as Vietnam, and those mentioned above, I would recommend

Tunnels of Cu Chi
Bloods

and if you're into a real good read, 13th Valley is a great story

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 10:51:38 PM »
I've got 13th Valley somewhere. I'll dig it out and give it a go.

As I'm currently laid up in bed with noting to do I've just started on Pagan Lord, book 6 (or maybe 7) of the Saxon chronicles. Formulaic but a ripping good read!!

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 08:30:18 AM »
I have dumped 'Twelve' as it is rubbish. Now reading John Keegan's 'The American Civil War.' This is a subject I have read about on a regular basis over the past 50 years as it was the first period I gamed. Despite this I am coming across stuff in this book of which I was previously unaware.

DorchesterBede

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 09:46:42 AM »
I am currently reading Bloody Victory - The Sacrifice on the Somme by William Philpott. A good overall account of the battle which includes the battles fought by the French. I tend to find painting inspiration around the books I read so this is helping me paint my LW French figures, is also why I probably have a scatter gun approach to my painting!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »
Me too Chris. Reading Pagan Lord is making me want to paint my skirmishers and mounted Vikings for Longships.....must focus on my Vietnam!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Just started "First Force Recon Company: Sunrise at Midnight". The first chapter (full of self-justification for starting a riot at college...) was a bit slow, but things are warming up now that the author has landed in Vietnam and volunteered for USMC Recon.

Does that help your resolve, Sean?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
Picked up two more Max Hastings books, both from charity shops today for the grand outlay of 7.00 - Armageddon, the Battle for Germany 44-45 and Nemisis, the battle for Japan 44-45. Thats holiday reading sorted for the next two weeks  ;D

DorchesterBede

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
Sean both are a good read but beware they could result in having to buy more PBI armies (Armageddon resulted in my Russian PBI army). I recently purchased a secondhand copy of Rising Sun by John Toland, 900 pages on the Pacific War (focus will be the Americans of course) will I be able to resist 'just a few' Marines/Japanese? I've also got Fergal Keane's Road of Bones to read so perhaps a few 14th army figures, then i'll need some scenery.......

Chris

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
I like the idea of a 14th Army force, but there is an American
bias  to my collections....US Europe infantryEurope infantry for PBI, Vietnam, Washingtons  Army etc. So I may end up going the Pacific route myself. As I always collect matching armies that means the IJA  to go against them. But I have to say early North Africa with Italians  v 8th Army is also a possibility. I'm going to resist until the end of the year ( maybe a Xmas present to myself). A lot to be getting on with.

I already have an unbloodied  Russian PBI force....

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
Finished Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell whilst on holiday.

This is the 7th book in the Saxon Chronicles telling the story of Uhtred of Bebbanberg and his journeys through Dark Age Britain trying to reclaim his birthright of Bebbanberg.

Formulaic, yes. You can bet that in each book Uhtred will lose and then regain a ship. His men will desert him and then return. He will be betrayed or tricked into a situation you're sure will mean his doom. He will fight ato least one major battle and describe the horror of being at the forefront if a Shieldwall. He will appear to recieve  a mortal wound in combat only to survive.

But I love these books all the same. Yes, themes are getting a bit samey. Yes, I wish he would just get to Bebbanberg and settle down. But the storytelling is first rate and it does wonders for your desire to play a game of Longships!