Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mexican Revolution?  (Read 1311 times)

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Mexican Revolution?
« on: December 12, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »
Did I read somewhere that the latest edition of SB includes rules and lists for the Mexican Revolution (Pancho Vila et al)?

If so, what 15mm figures are most suitable and any chance of a proper PP range? Not too many different troop types needed for the main protagonists, a pretty self-contained Campaign (which would lend itself to the PP treatment with lots of pre-game shenanigans), and the chance of foreign intervention for added flavour.

I know of 2 different 20mm ranges but Iíd prefer to stick with PP if at all possible.

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Revolution?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
The Mex Rev is in my top 3 projects to do

As I already have loads of terrain in 15mm I'd really like to do it in that size.

In fact only yesterday I was browsing the PP site trying to find suitable figures

However there isn't a lot from the PP ranges that can be used straight out of the box

These are the Wild West Mexicans & Cowboys, the WW1 Early British Cavalry, both mounted and dismounted, and some of the ACW troops

Everything else requires at least a head swap with suitable bodies - and PP does have a good range of heads

For Federales there are Russo-Japanese War Japanese heads, WW1 Stiff peaked hat & Belgian Shako and the WW2 Italian desert helmet. for bodies the ACW or some of the SCW ranges would work

For Irregulars there are sombreros , straw hats etc and there are loads of bodies

For the USA there are the Doughboy hats but no suitable bodies as they wore shirts or jumpers with canvas leggings

If PP did a specific range I would certainly put my money where my mouth is.

The only other 15mm manufacturer with suitable figures is QRF with their Spanish American War 1898 range but they are getting a bit long in the tooth

Alan

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Army 48 and 49 in the SB army book!  I too really like the idea of Mexican war.  I am however busy with Vietnam fir the next couple of Months.  can always fit in ahead pack if that helps??

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:33 PM »
Happy to wait a few months for a dedicated range - itíll give me the time to do some research and reading - especially if it means I can avoid doing too many head swaps :-)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
Happy to wait a few months for a dedicated range

I do love your optimism :)

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »
Believe and they will come :-)

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 05:13:26 PM »
I do believe in Federales I do I do!

;D

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
OK, Martin, youíve had 4 months, whereís our 40+ pack dedicated range for Mexican Revolution?  :-)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »
I'm sure they can be readily converted from Montagnards :)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »
A very interesting war. has a lot of the needed piggy ingredients.  These being
1. Either side can be played without feeling bad
2. Civil war aspect makes figure choice easier
3. Cavalry
4. Easy to source scenery
5. Lots of fiction and fact accounts , films etc. Even Villa in his own film!

Downsides
1. US involvement might eclipse the war (as in Falklands war ranges with SBS, SAS, paras, guards...and a pack of Argentinians please)
2.lack of the war in popular conversation
3. Needs  a fair few packs, new set of rules and some scenic pieces (train etc)
4.Big commitment

Having now mentioned it, there may well be some one else who sees this and jumps on now.
So, yes it has been on my list for many years but there is no hint of  a "promise" on this one.

Anyway, all good chat!

martin

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »
Time to drag this thread back to the top of the pile...

6 months down the line, Iíve been looking at the various 20mm ranges available for the Mexican Revolution and while theyíre nice enough, theyíre rather crude sculpts compared to PP, and the larger figures donít give the same impression of wide open spaces and sweeping actions that were characteristic of the period.

And PP has produced a few more useful packs of Mexicans, and heads, with more to come (horseholders) that makes Shedmanís suggestions for head-swaps even more sensible, especially if I go for the Hollywood version of the combatants rather than the strictly historically accurate, and not worry whether my Federales should be wearing puttees or gaiters.

BUT Iím still deterred by the idea of swapping around 400-odd sombrero heads!

Given the army lists in ĎWesterní would it be too much to ask for a second pack of Villistas on foot in different poses, and another pack of mounted Mexicans? In 15mm I donít think we need to differentiate between Northern and Southern (Zapatista) Cavalry (and even Rurales) do we? Maybe some headswaps onto suitable Western figures already sculpted would do the trick?

Martin, how many packs do we need to commit to, to make it happen? Iím thinking Iím going to need around 250 revolutionaries on foot (30 packs) and 120 Mounted with matching dismounted and horseholders (another 30-40 packs) to get things started...

Everything else, I can probably bodge together from existing PP packs, though Iím still trying to spot the perfect head pack for Federales in solar topees.

Smiley Miley 66

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
Never think Head Swapping is a Chore ! It is a chance to create your own unique figure, each time with his head slightly tilted up or down, to the left or right a bit. Making slightly different from the  next one.
My AK 47 British army over half had heads swapped, my Arab army is the same.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 06:28:31 PM »
This might blend in with the current Mexicans? ie  1860-80???

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 10:35:25 PM »
Martin

Your Mexicans are IMO ideal for the Revolution, in fact several packs from the Wild West Range are ideal.

The problem is that there is no opposition ie the Federales in peaked caps or pith helmets or American troops in  Montana hats

Would you considered doing a non-kickstarter for a Mexican Revolution range along the lines of Pendraken's Mongol & Napoleonic German States projects. See http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17838.0.html for details of the current one

Alan

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »
That IS a good idea  :)