Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WW1 Reading  (Read 1043 times)

Wardy64

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
WW1 Reading
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Chaps
Have been doing a bit of reading about the Somme given the anniversary and being off work following surgery. Found three books on e bay at a good price;

The Somme 1916 (Crucible of a British Army) by Michael Chappell; good overview, maps, black and white photo's and some very nice colour plates, Osprey style.

The Somme (The day by day account) by Chris McCarthy; gives a chronicle of the battle, day by day, unit by unit. Gives weather conditions, Corps, maps and black and white photo's.

Somme Mud (Experiences of an Infantryman in France 1916 -1919) by E.P.F. Lynch; a personal account of a soldier in the A.I.F. Tells what these brave young men experienced.

Have shared them with my son Ben, to help with his history project. Worth reading for knowledge or to aid with gaming this period.

Wardy

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Reading
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
Funny language English. Thought this was going to be about a Somme game at Warfare in  Reading.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »
I'll add the new book by Hugh Seabag-Monitfore 'Somme - Into the Breach'. It claims it takes a new perspective on the battle. Only a few dozen pages in (listening to via Audible). Its great so far...

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:43:54 PM »
"Battle Tactics of the Western Front - The British Army's Art of Attack 1916-18" by Paddy Griffith is a fascinating read.