Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Head Swaps  (Read 3038 times)

War Monkey

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: Head Swaps
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2018, 02:44:39 AM »
Leman;
Looks very good. Makes me think it should be possible to produce a Pershing force for Mexico if the appropriate bodies can be identified.

Eureka Miniatures has 1941 U.S. Cavalry mounted and dismounted wearing early war pan helmets might be a good place to start
https://eurekaminusa.com/collections/world-war-ii-15mm-u-s-cavalry-1941 

Thank You all.

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »
@Warmonkey - excellent work

Looks very good. Makes me think it should be possible to produce a Pershing force for Mexico if the appropriate bodies can be identified.

That's my Quest for the Holy Grail

Considering the simplicity of the uniform for Pershing's troops it should be easy to find a match

Here's a useful site http://www.curtrich.com/WildBunchForDummies_ch6.html

but ...

I've head-swapped the Montana hats with Wild West US Cavalry, various Spanish Civil War figures and WW1 British - but nothing looks right

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated

Alan

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
Having checked things out one of the major problems is leg wear. The US western cavalry have boots and the WWI British and many of the SCW figures have puttees. Those gaiters are a difficulty. However - I then came across the QRF Spanish-American War figures and Irregularís Boxer Rebellion US Marines.

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
@Leman - I've got a couple of packs of the QRF Span-Am troops that did look right. Unfortunately eyesight problems have stopped me from doing head swaps. I might look at milliputing the slouch hats though.

In my dreams Peter Pig would save me the bother by producing the actual figures - a foot pack, a mounted pack and a command pack with both foot and mounted officers  :)

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2018, 04:02:44 PM »
Worth looking at for a bit of south of the border action. However, the SB Army Book does cater for the SAW with some scenarios in the rule book.

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2018, 05:42:47 PM »
I know all you guys have done a thousand and one head swaps, but I still feel compelled to post a photo of my first attempt. Time taken approx 25 minutes. I am sure things will speed up with future attempts.

PP Professional becomes 32 Battalion or Rhodesian.

I did the same head swap for my RLI, although being quite anal I filed down the cap peak to flatten it and filled in the dovetail on the neck flap giving it more of a Rhodesian look and less Portuguese  :o

Thank you for your advice regarding Rhodesian headdress Rakkasan, I am now filing down the the caps of my Rhodesian troopies. However, an old photograph gives me a little historical wriggle room for my original figures. 

;)

http://www.newrhodesian.ca/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16&start=470

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2018, 09:01:34 AM »
Thatís a well executed swap Mike (no pun intended). You are right, it does speed up with practice and the results are worth the extra effort.