Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Head Swaps  (Read 3194 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Head Swaps
« on: November 26, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »
For some reason I've always put off doing Head Swaps as I tend to be all fingers and thumbs when it comes to these things.

Fortunately Les gave me a very quick demo today at the Weekender. So with my new found skills I found an ideal project to cut my teeth on....adding some variety to the ACW dismounted figures by swapping hats for forage caps.

I'd already started painting them but not enough to matter. I'll touch these up tomorrow. Really pleased with my efforts! Thanks Les!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Head Swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
Well done Sean - these look nice.

I found that taking the initial plunge was the hardest part - after that it's just proceeding carefully.

And the odd finger with a hole or cut in it mends soon enough!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
Yes hobbying in the past has led to many an injury but I managed to avoid serious injury last night. Looking forward to trying a few more swaps now - in particularly some bareheads.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »
I used some of the bare heads on my VC. Probably due to the smaller size of the Vietnamese, these looked a little big on them. Will be interested to see how they look on "Western" figures.

Just a query on basing, Sean: are yours in the photos below temporary for handling during painting, or the permanent bases? If the latter, any reason you've not done the terrain (sand / filler etc) before painting the figures (as I've found this much easier to do without having to be careful not to ruin the figures' paint job...)?

Just curious.

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »
It is daunting doing head swaps, and being hamfisted, pretty bloody at times but it's worth it.   

Here are some Roger's Rangers I head swapped from British light infantry (bobs) in caps

My Holy Grail is to find suitable bodies for the WW1 US Doughboy hat so I can do Pershing's Mexican Expedition

Alan

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
Well they all turned out very nicely - you've clearly got the nack!

And the blood washes off lead pretty easily, I've found  :)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
To be honest Simon, I've just always done it like that. I tend to stick the figures to the base with No Nails adhesive, spray in the predominant colour, add detail then use Army Painter dip which I paint on. I do some times use GW washes as the mood takes.

As for the basing again I change my mind all the time. I quite like the Army Painter brown brown basing flock with a few bits of grit added in. So  figures are painted I'll brush PVA glue on to the base, dip it in the flock and leave to dry. I'll then go back and do a light dry brush with a cream colour before adding static grass.

I've also used Basetex and also plain old sand in the past. Never had much of a problem with over spill onto the painted figure. But then as I get older I get less fussy with my painting. I used to paint all my figures in the Dallimore style of base coat and 2 highlights but then realised I never finish armies. Since finding Army Pianter. I've painted dozens of armies!

I'll continue to experiment and change my mind on a regular basis! Les was a font of knowledge over the weekend with numerous tips, not just on head swaps 😀

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
Lovely Rogers Rangers too!

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
Headswaps really do make a difference and add great variety.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
Sean its good to pass on some of these ideas, some will stick. Its all about exploring different techniques etc until you find the ones you like.

Batko

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »
Though seemingly daunting, a pair of snippers and a pin vice will carry you far. Headswapping piggy figures is something I'm rather fond of. Really extends the utility of the moderns and ww2 partisan options.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »
Agreed. I'm itching to do more. I've just finished the ACW dismounted cavalry. Just need vanishing and then I'll post another picture.

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »
I have recently discovered there is a variation of figure sizes within the AK47 Modern Africa range. Therefore, I will have to resort to head swaps to create my Rhodesian forces.

The video below is, I think, a fairly good resource on the subject. I would be very grateful for any further hints, tips, or refinements of this arcane art from the more experienced members of this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aovqtjzHLUI

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:57 AM »
Mike,

There are a couple of threads on head-swapping with the combined wisdom of some folk from this Forum here:

http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=276.msg1425#msg1425

and here:

http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=220.msg1073#msg1073

They just about cover it for me [having just gone through the madness of swapping a load of heads to make sure that every figure in my not-too-far-from-being finished-now Cattlemen force is unique...].

Mike Tanner

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
I know all you guys have done a thousand and one head swaps, but I still feel compelled to post a photo of my first attempt. Time taken approx 25 minutes. I am sure things will speed up with future attempts.

PP Professional becomes 32 Battalion or Rhodesian.