Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PBI 2018 and beyond ?  (Read 1644 times)

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: PBI 2018 and beyond ?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
I was just thinking of doing armies for the specific years, as stated above. This would be any army in the book any theather of operations. Then on the day would be best matched up with the best opposition in it can be done.
Unless people who say that they would turn up could and would be there, guaranteed....
Then we could organise something more specific and even speacil.
  But for now I thought I would put the idea out of havin specific years on which to base your armies on, then it stops people from turning up with "Super" armies, unless it was correct for that year. At the moment that all I can say.
Unless like "Big Mike" Ardennes game, if enough people wanted to do a specific "battle"  then we could do that with enough warning. If not turn up on the day with any army that meets the standards of the book and the spefied year.. So it is up to you ?
Miles

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 11:48:47 AM »
As you all know next year 2019 is the 75th anniversary of 1944. There was some Big Events that year ! That's an understatement ! These events had there affects on the wars ultimate conclusion.
So after the success of Big Mike's superbly executed Ardennes game, and knowing the effort that was put in and the stresses and strains that go with it....
Myself and others started talking about a Big Game for next year, so more people can get involved with the Organisation of the game to spread this responsibility out.
Many Hands Make Light Work !!!
So Sean suggested Arnehem ? Which has gone down quite well, Stewart Suggested Beach Assault (Dday) ?
So Suggestion to Solve this little problem as both are very good to do.
We do the Arnehem game in the same sort of format of the Ardennes Game, so we would be in a big hall and we can get on with the game, having split table's etc as we all know how chaotic it was in January, so we don't really want "the public" interference etc. Also we can have the time to get on with it...
Then, instead of our usual Games day format that we do in September, with our usual "Own" forces and table's we do a large Beachhead assault game ?
That then gives us 11-12 months to organise the first game and a further 7-8 months to get the other game organised knowing that a good majority of forces needed for both games can be the same or similar  so not making it such a massive buying and painting fest. There would be of course speacial models and features required for both games. But if enough of us get together it can be done?
For some of us this will be quite a task and for others just a company of men and supporting arms would help ?
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 03:36:20 PM »
Miles, that sounds splendid - particularly if I am down (at least initially) for the "just a company of men and supporting arms" :)

Thank you for keeping the momentum up on this - all very exciting!

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 10:19:51 PM »
This sounds a sensible approach, Miles.  I am happy to contribute troops etc and help with logistics in some way. May I suggest that whoever takes the lead for each of the two games starts to get thier teams together now.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:40 AM »
That's why I wanted to start now. There is a lot to plan for.
I 've just bought "storm over Arnhem" board game to see how variable it is to do the Bridge fight at Arnehem itself ?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »
Here is a simple summary for the Arnhem proposed game.
I know is Flames of War who always overplay the armour and under play the infantry.
But for those interested it shows a brief outline for the tables and some of the troops required.

https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5942

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
This gives an excellent overview with detailed unit lists.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »
I was going to suggest that I take the Lead on the Arnehem game with the help of a few others ? Me, Mike, Les, Sean,Colin,Stewart and Martin (and anyone else who wants to get involved with the set up and run in for either/both games) Then I Suggest Stewart takes Lead for the Beach Assault game, and he can help and advise me and Colin on a smaller show game that we would like to play next year, as this can be used as a test bed for rules to do the Bigger can that Stewart wants us to put on later in the year.
So we are talking 2019,  Arnhem next January (ish) and the Big Beach Assault next year's September(this would be PBI games day 2019)
Les looking at FoW Pdf are no bad thing, I find there books a great help with organised forces etc, I use and got a lot of their books and download a lot of their pdf's as well.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
Miles, count me in for the Arnhem game. Happy to book venue etc when you decide on the date/time.