Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Congratulations  (Read 767 times)

Tony

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Congratulations
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
Martin,

I just wanted to use this forum to say congratulations and thank you for the latest iteration of MOCB. Really good, very evocative, an absolutely playable set of rules, delivering an excellent game full of tension and surprises to both sides. Thoroughly enjoyed and definitely amongst the very best Vietnam rules I have played in the last 30 years or so.

Tony

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
Most kind Tony!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:34:30 PM »
Wow Tony! I totally agree.

I'm very excited tonight because I've packed all my stuff to take down to the club tomorrow for a game. I'm running the game for 4 players in the occasional adventures of Capt. Poontang Delves. Still not sure if it'll be VC or NVA that he runs into. Maybe both if I can get two games in!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:46:22 PM »
Yep a well received game.

Took it last Saturday took the Vietnam game to my local club.

Well fun was had by all.

First the club is in France just outside Carentan at a little village of Saint-Hilaire-Petitville.

All the members are French and can converse at various levels of English, but generally their not overly good, but then we are in France and why should they be able to speak English.

Most of the games they play are from French publishers, so the rules are native french with English translations, like Saga and Deadmans Hand. They also enjoy Bolt Action now that they are available in French. So these are their normal rules.

I had made a French translation of the playsheet that helped but with a few howlers, 'Vets' had translated into 'les vétérinaires' was the worst!!
It took quite a while to get them to understand the concept of Motivation. They kept wanting to just roll to shoot or move not roll for a success then carry out the fight, shooting or what ever.
Then they could not understand the cache loop and rolling for the difference. Same with artillery. But after a few turns they started to understand and I think enjoyed the game.
They enjoyed some of the uncertainty and the fact that both side had different intentions.
But it certainly does stretch the vocabulary and can be very difficult to explain without a dictionary.

Have to try SB next, they want to try out the 'Première guerre mondiale' as we have been asked to put on a game in the bibliothèque to commemorate the end of the war next year.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »
'Vets' had translated into 'les vétérinaires' was the worst!!

That's very good!

I had the opposite problem at the club I used to be in: we'd game in French but use English rules: I'd rarely see the actual paper as some of the more experienced players had memorised the rules and just told us what the answers were in any given situation, albeit with sometimes variable pronunciation. I had difficulty understanding certain concepts, such as troops classified as "les gwards" until I was informed that I really should know, since they were English terms...

Somehow they had no difficulty in referring to "la Perfide Albion" whenever I got lucky on the dice, though...