Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zulus  (Read 1223 times)

Al Packer

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Zulus
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:07:09 PM »
I think the title says it all. I would absolutely LOVE to see the ulu Wars given the Piggy Treatment. Martin's colonial figures are full of character so I could imagine a horde of Piggy Zulus would look absolutely awesome! And probably not that many packs needed, at least for the Zulus. The British and allies might need a few, but I wonder whether any of the Sudan range would be usable?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Zulus
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »
Simon spoke about this a while age and he is right that it would be a useful range.  having said that , same old problem. Not "what should i do",  but "what should i not do?"
I am always humbled that folk shoild want to but what we make, but i need more hours and days to get things done.

Of course it does not mean i do not listen to group ideas, keep them coming.
At the moment I am working on  NVA, SCW then Montagnards and Austrian WW2 cavalry. Should any of these be cancelled, I think not.
Of course there are some secret projects being weighed up too.
In addition a fair few re-builds are constantly on the go. This week we re-relaese SCW beret gun crew, but that is going to be a surprise for next week. In addition the RFCM figure is now done and being posted.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Whilst I love seeing new figures and indeed new ranges, I'm struggling to find the time to paint figures that Martin has been selling for years. In no particular order I want to do:

1. Ikko Ikki
2. 14th Army
3. WW2 Japanese
4. WW2 US Marines
5. WW2 British Paras
6. RCW for Squarebashing

Things Martin doesn't do but I'd like to do:
1. British Interventionist army for Civil War Battles
2. Crimean
3. French Foreign Legion
4. Balkan Wars 1912-13
5. French Indian Wars
6. Jacobite Rebellion

I am currently working on at various stages of completion:

1. SCW regular Nationalist army
2. ACW cavalry
3. Samurai
4. ASK
5. Wars of the Roses
6. Western
7. Sudan
8. WW1 late French
9. AK47
10. Spanish buildings.

As you can see  I have lots on going and lots of still like to do. So whilst I do love new figures and new ranges - I'm not sure I've got the time !

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
Yes I like Martin new figures, just finished 4 vehicles for SCW, two forces and buildings for western, waiting for Montagnards for Vietnam. Currently working on some 28mm Zulus for Rorkes drift, there my ‘paint when nothing else to paint’ project

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:32:35 PM »
I still believe you are unique amongst wargamers Stewart!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »
Stewart what colour scheme have you used for the SCW vehicles?

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
I have just down a basic grey with a brown wash on top and varnish. White for the slogans. Nothing spectacular.

sjwalker51

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »
By coincidence, I just dropped Martin a line about Jacobites and was tempted to ask again about Zulus!

Bound to say, I suspect you’d sell rather more packs of Zulus than Austrian cavalry or, indeed, most SCW subjects - and it’s high volume lines that make the ‘nice to have’ stuff viable.

The Zulus wouldn’t need many more packs than, say, the Fuzzy Wuzzies (even assuming you wanted to have different packs for Married and Unmarried, which might not be entirely necessary in 15mm - I’d prefer more packs with different weapons for added variety and differentiate with shield designs).

As for the British and auxiliaries, there’s some Sudan packs than could serve for 1879 but the purists will complain about the British regulars. Even so, there’s not so many different troop types involved.

And it’s a good time to be looking at colonials - the MWWBK rules are very popular - look at Blue Moon’s recent releases for both AZW and Boxers in 15mm, and Khurasan are planning a further (Zulu?) range sometime next year.

Duncan

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »
Just started painting Zulus. Had to go elsewhere for them, what a pity.
I have done a sizeable Colonial era British army (around 300 men) nearly all sourced from PP and a similar sized Beja (Fuzzy Wuzzy.) force. Having said that the Beja could do with a couple of extra packs!
Anyway, looking forwards to the day PP does Zulus.

Radar

• Supporter 2019
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »
Surely Zulus would make commercial sense*, as everyone who has watched the film knows they have to be bought in multiples of 'thousands of 'em'. 😉

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
Duncan have my 55 bases started, whens the game?

Duncan

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
Don't know yet, waiting for Michael to get his painted to add to the masses.

One thing that I find detracts in some ways from Zulus is the lack of unit types. You have HQ, Married and Unmarried and some chaps with various mixed firearms of dubious worth. Maybe, only very rarely the occasional mounted leader or handful of scouts but no actual cavalry. So masses of men with spears, not even swords! OK some wooden clubs! But basically they are a hordes army with very little variation, whereas the British can even have observation balloons if you want and machine guns! Does seem a bit one sided, but then I guess overwhelming numbers make up for all that!

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
Were you intending to build Rorkes Drift and the river or the mountain and ravines around Iswandala?

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 11:43:31 AM »
I have the warlord games Rorkes drift set, finishing  my last 30 Zulus then start on the buildings and walls but busy basing my Pirates ready for first play test.

Duncan

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
I have not considered terrain yet. Personally I like large scale open battles rather than drives or sneaking about searching for things. So any wide open plain with maybe a couple of ravines, and one or two low mounds or hills and perhaps a bit of scrub. Sound familiar? A bit like a lot of other battles, great that is what I like, two evenly matched forces fighting it out around in a big battle. No defender, no attacker, just two armies with a grudge slogging it out!