Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top 5 Pet Hates  (Read 6594 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Top 5 Pet Hates
« on: July 05, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »
1. Players who moan about bad luck.
2. Slow players
3. People interrupting your game when they've nothing better to do.
4. People being careless with your figures - dropping them or knocking them over.
5. Complaining about a set of rules when they have only played once and lost.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Pet Hates
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »
Pretty much sums up my feelings, which is why I am easing myself out of one part of the club and into another. Two other pet hates of mine are: a) people who moan about the game you've taken time to put on, but never put one on themselves, and b) people who slow a game so that they can measure to the exact millimetre.

agamemnon

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »
Agreed, Leman.  Blokes who are forever moaning about rules to the minus n'th degree and measuring to the nearest millimetre.  Got one in the local group.  I just decline to join in the game.
What happened to the concept of fun?

Stephen

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:13:57 PM »
I suppose one way of dealing with the measuring retentive is to only play Square Bashing with them.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:26:26 AM »
How about players that choose an action, carry it out, it goes badly, then they declare they did not want to do that and put things back to their original position.

Ha

martin

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
I'm afraid that in most cases that would raise a fair amount of ire, although I would be prepared to accept that from a novice or a player unfamiliar with a set of rules.

Harald

• Piglet
  • When the going gets tough, the tough get going
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »
4b) Players who are eating potato chips and then touch your figures.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
4c) people touching your figures without asking

Kevan da G

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »
I wouldnt say these are grumbles as much as observing others grumble or make observations  that make me want to grumble back about what my motives actually are and what theirs are....if you know what I mean

1) Having a completely historical orbat of regular troops & being told that it isn't "worth the points"   (I've failed the exotic tweak  test)

2) Using weapons historically accurately in an orbat & getting told it isn't in the rules.  (I failed the rules overrule any historical knowledge test )

3) being told it's gamey to use particular weapons that were historically used in a role they were used in   :-[, for the army my troops represent. because its  against an army they never fought  :'( , but had I used  an army of the same nationality  that did fight that opponent,  with everything exactly the same stands ......that would be okay.  ( I failed the "consider your opponent's army" match up test)

4) Using proxies that dont look or behave at all like the vehicle they represent. (these panzer iv's are actually 105 stugs....Its up to you to remember that my arch of fire is restricted....I will not forget that my armour and gun values are better tho and will turn my turrets to face your tanks to give the impression there is no issue with arc of fire)

5)  Claims their British black powder  Napoleonic army is anglo-portuguese because they added 3 rifle armed cacadore battalions to it   ;D

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »
Agree on all pointsides Kev. The first I think especially!

John in York

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »
The big one for me is playing against someone who insists on using totally ridiculous and inaccurate tactics, who then complains that the rules aren't very good when unsurprisingly they get thrashed.

I was playing Patrols in the Sudan. My opponent kept his British in column. I even kept asking whether he wanted to redeploy into line. I charged into him from cover each time and it was a slaughter. He hardly got a shot off. Very painful and disappointing game to play. To cap it all he the suggested that rules weren't very realistic. :o

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
Yes I have experienced this before now.

Reinhardt

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 04:25:42 PM »
Although I only have a few years of war-gaming under my belt, here goes:
  • Players who indulge too much in historical realism. I can't stand it when someone is bent on changing a rule to make it more "appropriate" or "realistic" for the period in question. (i.e. that weapon shouldn't be that accurate, because in real life it wasn't!) Sometimes, folks need to remember it's a game, not a simulator.
  • Folks who chime in to be rules-lawyers when they're not even playing! If you're not at the table, then let the players play the way they'd like to.
  • The phrase "it's just a game" or "it's just a friendly game." For some reason, it sounds condescending when it's repeated over and over. I mean, we all get a little flustered when things don't go our way, but it doesn't help when someone is rubbing in their victory like that.
  • Folks who walk up to start conversations and end up distracting players. Could you not bring up the entire literature of some historical period whilst we're playing? Save it for later, chum.
  • The overly defensive or overly aggressive player. Now, I'll say this: I don't mind aggression as much as I do overly-defensive tactics. All out charges can be fun! What's not fun is your opponent staying on the other side of the field. During an open field battle. Wasting turns. Wasting time.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
Have you come across the Solo Wargamers'  Association?

Reinhardt

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »
Have you come across the Solo Wargamers'  Association?

Har, har. Very funny.  ;)

Although, if your question is a genuine one, then I know of them. Mind you, I wouldn't enjoy the hobby if it weren't for the wonderful people I've met along the way. To be fair though, I've also met some less-than-agreeable folks too (hence my pet hates and grumbles).