Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Untidy tables  (Read 2432 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Untidy tables
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
This leads us to a related question?   That being "is more clutter needed by recent games?"

Games of yore would often need templates for MG, grenade and artillery. Templates are now out of use??
The rule book would usually be Quarto (smaller than A4) and be more booklet type.
Fewer dice (types and quantity).
Mobile phones and tablets on table take room.

Games of now .
More markers? To show more status situations than older games.
Collectable cards for vehicles and characters.
More snacks and drinks in portable form (personalised coffee, nachos)

PP games create clutter by
1. Use of a game battle sheet.
2. Having reserves/reinforcements off table.
3. Lots of D6.
4. Turn counter.

PP games reduce clutter by
1. Infrequent need for measuring devices.
2. One type of dice.
3. Smaller than 6x4 playing area.
4. Reduced need for rulebook (??)

all just discussion points. You may have other thoughts.

I think the carefully designed use of visually attractive counters in RFCM games reduces both clutter per se and the negative visual impact of what is used.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 11:14:55 AM »
Simon you just wait until you get your pieces of eight laid out, you'll need the extra table then.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
Simon you just wait until you get your pieces of eight laid out, you'll need the extra table then.

Yup - I will be picking up my crew / sails / cannon models for counters at Salute. But I find such counters in keeping with the game and not "clutter" in the sense of an eyesore. My mat should be with me shortly too with any luck, to allow play testing to continue chez nous.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »
Salute!! Your planning early, for the show next year..

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »
Sorry, Colours...  :-[

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
Here is one of the small side tables I was talking about.  At the start of the game it is already full of game articles and markers. Also one of the dice trays I painted up and prepared. Both through Amazon - table just over £15, the tray just over £3. Two of each is less than a battle mat for tidy games in the future.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »
If we as wargamers dislike the table clutter then imagine a visitor trying to understand what the game is really all about. Markers on the table edge are just about OK as they need to be visible to all players, but it is the paper work that should be kept off. Fortunately at the Weymouth Club we have more chairs and little tables than we can use so I have a chair to sit on and one for my rules.
Martin's summary of the PP games' effects on clutter sets a challenge. How to write a set of rules that needs No clutter!

War Monkey

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 04:24:12 AM »
I have side tables as to reduce having clutter on the gaming table and absolutely NO Drinks on the game table, and "Handy Wipes" or "Towelettes" on hand for all those eating chips and alike. Hey it's "My House My Rules".

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 07:32:40 AM »
No one would get through the door of my house intending to play a game whilst eating chips. Whatever happened to good manners?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »
Stewart had to send one chap on his way  at a show The chap came and sat down at the participation game table and got his sandwiches out.  Says Stewart "would you like  to play this game".  Reply "No I am just having my lunch".  Well done Stewart. Another instance was a chap who asked for a place on a game (Farnborough). The moment the game  started his dad brought over his sandwiches, crisps and a bottle of beer for the chap, which he put on the game table.  He then proceeded to take very little part in the game having secured somewhere to eat his lunch.  Not much point explaining manners to such folk, as they would be offended, due to it being outside of their social consciousness. They would just dumfounded; their mum lets them do what they like.

Various drunk people have joined in on our games at Historicon. The trick here, is not to start any game later than 7pm. After 7pm the drunks are out and about. having a good game of Samurai at Historicon with Ralph and 4 members of the public. I stood up to lean across the table and some chap snook in behind and stole my chair from under my backside! Luckily Ralph warned me not to sit down.

At a  show in Somerset we put on game of Hammerin iron. It was a joint modelling and wargaming show some 25 years ago. This chap comes along and opens the boxed kit he has just bought. Lays the sprues out on the game table and inspects them. Was a bit chagrined when i asked him to get his kit pieces off the table!

It does go on and on.  But. 80% of players at shows are just fine and their company is appreciated.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »
Apparently the BBC has just discovered dyspraxia and is now intent on making everyone aware of it so that we can be more understanding of it. One of its manifestations is a difficulty in organising things on a small scale. The problem for me is am I seeing someone who is genuinely dyspraxic or am I seeing someone who just doesn’t give a monkey’s. If I make an allowance am I then inadvertently encouraging the person who just doesn’t give a stuff and therefore being taken advantage of. Unfortunately I have now come to the conclusion that this ‘let’s be nice to everybody’ although fine in theory is never going to work in practice. The safest bet is to remain neutral, object when something impinges on you, even if the person can’t help it. The world gives the impression of revolving round each individual but in fact it doesn’t.