Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Heli-borne assault  (Read 904 times)

Peterloo

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Heli-borne assault
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »
Hi
Just  suggestion for a different start to the VC game.
Heli-borne assault.

The Americans would have struggled to fight Vietnam without Helicopters (read 'street with no joy' for a good account of why the French were doomed in Vietnam)

So this scenario is a quick insertion by helicopter to search the villages
Each section requires 1 helicopter. You can replace the tanks/vehicles/artillery assets with attack helicopters. - as they don't get tanks/vehicles/artillery assets.

The VC starts the game by dicing 1d6 , this is the number of vc units on the board to start, he doubles the number and (here you need extra markers , 6 markers for vc and 6 markers for dummy vc -'vc  not there' markers )
The VC places his vc markers and his 'vc  not there' markers anywhere on the board he chooses.

The American player can start with either sending in his assets or deploying his sections placing them as he wants,
He has to indicate his flight plan from any board edge, if it runs next to a VC marker the vc player can expose his unit by dicing for numbers , then do an opportunity fire.
The helicopters arrive, land and disembark in one turn.  Leave the following turn.  -

If the Americans fire on a village with a vc marker in it dice for number of villagers , do hits in normal way , all dead are villagers. - but it reduces the number the vc can recruit.

once the Americans are down play as normal. - but casivac on calling in you have to place a helicopter with the unit casivacing which allows the vc to shoot it.

It allows the Americans to initiate the battle where they want to , but of course they don't want to fly to close to the vc positions and the vc can dummy the Americans by using his 'vc not there markers'

its an interesting start to the game , and gives you an excuse to use all your helicopters

I haven't tried on the NVA game but I will work on that

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Heli-borne assault
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:17 PM »
Great book you pointed out Peter. Once a Warrior King. Good Vietnam flavour.

Peterloo

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
couple of other goodies
If I die in the combat zone -
six silent men (story of lurps and how not to do things in a war)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »
I'll need to get Once a Warrior King - sounds great.

The Six Silent Men series is good, although for very small unit actions (hence they didn't make it into the rules as references). But there are some other great books - more suited to the scale of the engagements in the rules - within the Bibliography section of the recent MOCB - all highly recommended.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Once a Warrior King
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
Good read.  Lots to show the frustration and isolation of a captain on the edges of the battlefield.
My copy on its way to Martin.