Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spar Torpedo cost  (Read 685 times)

myrm

• Supporter 2018
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
Spar Torpedo cost
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
Think I might be missing something in the book here, but is there a cost for ships to mount a Spar torpedo, or do the advantages and limitations get assumed to balance out?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Spar Torpedo cost
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
Some boats/ships just get a spar torpedo for free.  Might be useful??

myrm

• Supporter 2018
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: Spar Torpedo cost and data sources
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »
Thanks!

I am speccing out a lot of vessels for HI for my own use and that's the one bit that I ran into but had no answer to. So if they had one I'll add it -there are pluses and minuses to using them so I'll go with neutral.

On the front of resources for such vessels and their details...I am using a variety - yes I start at wiki for a list of ships and follow to their cited sources, but mostly DANFS and its ACW section, another game's stats and a few gunnery sites and a half dozen ACW discussion sites and their research data sources where they give them. What comes out of that is that there is a lot of disagreements between sources on occasion, some of the HI book numbers I have generated variant stats - but what I do not have yet but intend to get at is the Conway's for the period.

Is COnways generally considered the best for this or is there a tome consider to be of biblical standing for ACW vessels (Im struggling a little as its not my field of knowledge let alone expertise)?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
You will find it very difficult to pin down exact armaments for particular ships.

Often they would load the guns etc locally, fight the battle and unload the armament again afterwards.

They would only have available what was in the local arsenal.

The book we used was "Warships and Naval Battles of the US Civil War." Author Tony Gibbons, my copy was published by Dragon's World, first published 1989. I do not know if it has been republished.

The other problem with the period is that there are very few records. Some ships were destroyed and the records with them. Some were captured and re equipped with different guns and crews.

When we have played the games we try to create balanced forces. And we would vary the number of guns on board to help to create a balance.

myrm

• Supporter 2018
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:46:47 PM »
You will find it very difficult to pin down exact armaments for particular ships.
Some seem fairly consistent and easy to find - others are an absolute nightmare because of features you mention :)
Equally some the technical specs are OK - displacement, draft etc...others things vary from source or just aren't listed that I can find. Some of the research some guys do on ACW websites it really in depth and getting to primary records I stand no chance at

The book we used was "Warships and Naval Battles of the US Civil War." Author Tony Gibbons, my copy was published by Dragon's World, first published 1989. I do not know if it has been republished.
I'll take a look for it, thanks!

The other problem with the period is that there are very few records. Some ships were destroyed and the records with them. Some were captured and re equipped with different guns and crews.
I have noticed the paucity of records. Sometimes I can trace the variations on ships - other times, other people seem to have and I take them at facevalue (however dangerous that may be).

When we have played the games we try to create balanced forces. And we would vary the number of guns on board to help to create a balance.
In some ways that is what I am trying to do - I bought a couple of fleets with extras when I got into Hammerin Iron and just recently picked up a half dozen more from PP. Buy speccing up a lot of ships I am just trying to get the variety in named ships more than anything else....if I can get enough then I can assemble a bunch of flotilla cards with a variety of models and ships in use to keep things balanced and varied. Plus I find it kind of fun to hunt through the web and spec things out - more fun than the painting at any rate....