Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stoke Wargames Group  (Read 1257 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Stoke Wargames Group
« on: June 27, 2016, 10:19:13 PM »
45 years old this year. We have our own permanent premises in Longton. We have several rooms that play all manner of periods. I attend and frequently put on Piggie games when there is a free table.

We have a Facebook page, just search for Stoke Wargames Group. I cant seem to add a link...

New members always welcome!

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
Re: Stoke Wargames Group
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:03:55 PM »

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:28:14 PM »
Well after 47 years, the majority of which we have had permanent premises which could be access 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, Stoke Wargames Club has been served notice to leave our premises.

This is catastrophic for the club. For many years we have had very cheap rent on what is admittedly a pretty dilapidated building. But it was our home. I have personally been a member for 28 years, climbing the same old rickety stairs to enjoy games with life long friends.

We are highly unlikely to secure anything anywhere near as suitable and in all likelihood this will see the fragmentation of a club with around 40-50 members. This is a really sad day. The current owner has decided to sell the building rather than invest in much needed repairs and we have to be out by the end of December.

We are faced with the potential of what most clubs do - set up and take down games on the same night. Many members store their collections at the club and leave games in situ if they don't finish their game.

But it's not just about gaming. The club is a community. We have members in their 70's who were there at the beginning. I've grown from my student days to middle age. We have lost members through cancer. We have many, many years of gaming memories as well as more personal ones of members we have lost. Friday nights 'down the club' have been as much a part of my life as just about anything else.

I have played countless Piggie games there (not so many this year  :() as well as being involved in just about every period and scale you can imagine playing any set of rules you care to name.

Not sure what the future holds from here  :'(

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
Very sorry to hear that, Sean. How sad.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:10:27 PM »
Indeed bad news Sean, hope the new year brings good news.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:16 AM »
Sad news indeed. In Liverpool we have had to move premises three times in the last 28 years. Knowing how much members store down our club, to lose premises without somewhere else to go would be disastrous.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »
Grim Sean. You have my sympathy.
None the less, now is the time to get up and push forwards. The gamers should be able to find somewhere to game.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »
Sean I thought you had converted a wargames space?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »
Not big enough for 40+ club members!

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
Sean,
No doubt we will chat about this at the coming weekend but to have 40 + members in the club is a major achievement. It says bucket loads about the people there so I would be very positive about the future for your club.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 08:00:01 AM »
In Liverpool the club is 50+. Since its founding in the early 70s it is now in its fourth location. The moves were always the result of the landlords wanting to sell property on etc. We always seemed to find somewhere else and always in the city centre.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
I think cost will be the major factor renting out the rooms all year round. However there are numerous factories that have been vacant for years that owners are now renting out space in for things like toddler groups and fitness training. Hopefully something will come up.

Leman

• Supporter 2018
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 01:52:58 PM »
Membership of my club is reasonable and covers the annual rent plus a bit left over for reforms, such as new chairs, decorating, playing mats etc. It is 26 per month employed, otherwise 15. That is full membership which has privileges such as being able to store troops, terrain, rulebooks and so on at the club, plus 24 hour access. For those unable to, or unwilling to pay full membership there is a 6 table fee.

Westie

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »
In Liverpool the club is 50+. Since its founding in the early 70s it is now in its fourth location. The moves were always the result of the landlords wanting to sell property on etc. We always seemed to find somewhere else and always in the city centre.

There you go, Sean. There's always hope. Time to scour the local Church halls, scout huts and the various club houses in the area. Either that or buy that winning lottery ticket! Good luck.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »
After a glimmer of salvation with the chance of move two doors down to rooms above the local chippie, it seems that all is for nought. The offer has been withdrawn and the great migration will go ahead.

Lots of possibilities for hire of scout huts/village or church halls/community centres so the club will continue in some form or other but the halcyon days of yore are gone.

Good job I have my other clubs to fall back on as the sole member of the North Midlands Branch of the Weymouth Levellers and occasional member of STaB and the Burton club  :)