Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hammerin' Iron questions.  (Read 1046 times)

myrm

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Hammerin' Iron questions.
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:10:21 PM »
So I have collected a set of ships for Hammerin' Iron and played a number of games to try and interest people at my games club which it seems to.
A few questions cropped up over the games that I'd like to throw out.

1) Mist - can it disappear on the Event phase of the first turn - there is a comment of the game starting in Mist which suggested somewhat that there was no roll on the first turn but also the start of the game is before the first event phase. For removal is it each player can roll or each player has the option of requesting the roll to occur and if either or both request it there is one roll?
2) Are there any restrictions on how far a scenery piece can be moved in setup or do they end up being a bit restricted due to the other pieces being placed already and the standard placement restrictions combined?
3) Order of assets play - is there an order in how assets get used - there is an order in the book in how they are listed (which is at variance to the QRS) but torpedo boats and subs both say 'not a ship attacked by the other' which suggested player control of asset order (eg Attacker first then defender perhaps).
4) Are we correct in assuming you cannot get a fort on an island terrain piece that isn't attached to the shore other than a Large fort being in play?

5) Has anyone played the game on a large hexgrid just as a regular fleet action game outside of the standard river scenario, which is all we have played using the Peter Pig mat, and does it work well? If so how far up the Ironclad size can you go sensibly if we specced up smaller oceangoers from say Italian/British fleets before the 50hp max, thebattery of criticals and the 5hp breakpoints breaks the system.

Thanks all!
Tim

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerin' Iron questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 09:19:33 AM »
Hello Tim
1. Any player can roll at their turn start.  Thus a player might start his turn by rolling to get rid of the mist.  A roll of 4,5,6 means the mist has instantly disappeared. So aplayer can start the turn by declaring they are attempting to get rid of  the mist and roll a D6 at that point.
2.The scenery pieces can be moved any amount,but cannot overlap an existing piece's placement.
3. Carry out assets in alphabetical order A, B etc.  Quick shett details the assets but dies not give a sequence/order. Use the alphabetical order given in the rule book.
4. Forts cab be deployed on islands without the island needing to be attached to the shore.
5. If playing a full naval game there might be several problems. Firstly the size of sea going ships' batteries might require too much (?)dice rolling for guns. The HI rules do not give rules for "at sea" wind directions that might be needed by sailing ships using the wind.

Good questions
Hope my answers help a bit?

martin

myrm

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »
1. Any player can roll at their turn start.  Thus a player might start his turn by rolling to get rid of the mist.  A roll of 4,5,6 means the mist has instantly disappeared. So aplayer can start the turn by declaring they are attempting to get rid of  the mist and roll a D6 at that point.
OK so it can just disappear before the first turn is run then. Luck of the dice it is.
2.The scenery pieces can be moved any amount,but cannot overlap an existing piece's placement.
3. Carry out assets in alphabetical order A, B etc.  Quick shett details the assets but dies not give a sequence/order. Use the alphabetical order given in the rule book.
Excellent - those sort everything.
4. Forts cab be deployed on islands without the island needing to be attached to the shore.
OK then I have completely missed that bit! Makes for more  variety.
5. If playing a full naval game there might be several problems. Firstly the size of sea going ships' batteries might require too much (?)dice rolling for guns. The HI rules do not give rules for "at sea" wind directions that might be needed by sailing ships using the wind.
I did think they might be two big issues. How about just a bigger space to cover estuary mouths and coastal rather than the very tight confines of the river - does that break anything that people are aware of as I was toying with a bigger hex cloth area to try a few scenarios with more manoeuvre space.
Hope my answers help a bit?
Quite a lot, yes, thanks!

Tim

myrm

• Supporter 2018
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »
So a couple more popped up on another  play.

1) Forts can fire over land and ships to hit targets. Is this reciprocal and those targets can return fire on the fort, or did fort guns have more play in angles of fire and so gain this as a one way bonus?

2) Arc of fire - this is more of a note than a question I think. We play on a hex mat, and noted the line that if the arc is at any time over the target that you can fire. We simply checked the arcs before and after turning and moving to see if the hexes overlaid a target at any time as those are the states the ship can be in that we can actually check the arc due to the hex pattern. However, in the last game we noticed that doing this strictly produces a blind spot two hexes from a firing ship as it turns. Looking at the more analog hex free system and the examples there plus what we felt was common sense we immediately ruled that any hexes the arc has to move past to get from A to B are covered.

3) While looking at how to do an open water fight, I had a thought about how to do wind with a few ideas from friends - and came up with a few ideas. Set the wind direction, make an asset of 'Changeable Wind' which allows that somehow. Essentially deploying/ shortening sail is an action..  There was debate over whether to make that action replace Repair, or if the crew required would make opportunity fire only on a 6 for the turns where they were raising or lowering. The effect is if the sails are going up or are up and the wind is in the rear pivot arc then any regular ship with sails set becomes a Fast ship. If the ship is limited to one hex due to damage it can move as a regular slow ship, if it is immobile due to engine/boiler hits then it can do 1 hex per turn on a move action. One of the sailing experts suggested this should be permitted with the right sails anytime the wind is not  directly in the front hexside so that is up for debate. We also decided wind would replace river drift for relevant rules. Also masts become a damageable location - on Funnel crits with the effect that the ship becomes sails down immediately and once all masts are gone then the ship can never go sails up again. If I get a large enough hex cloth to try it I'll let you know. I do need to come up with some swell/seastate rules for monitors particularly.