Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 3584 times)

ianoftherhine

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »
Hello, Ian from Reading here.  I started wargaming Tolkien stuff in the early 70s (at a very, very early age...obviously) and, I have to say, haven't got it right yet.  I'm not a regular at any club (the nearest to that is my c.6 times a year visits to Shrewsbury WC) and I'm a woefully slow painter.   That said, I am a truly accomplished buyer of wargames stuff.  I've have been a PP fan for many years, and have a fair handful of the rules and figures (EIR, Germans, Parthians, Dwarfs, Gnomes, WW2, WOTR, ECW, Hammerin' Iron), some of which are even painted.  I was fortunate to be able to pop in to the last Weymouth weekend and was made most welcome - thanks to all who were there.   

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • Lurkio
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 08:17:04 AM »
Hi Ian,

may I direct you to the new members sections, as there is some useful stuff in there

http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?board=57.0

thanks
Simon

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 07:33:55 PM »
I have already posted but I guess I should do an intro.

I'm Mark from Toronto, Canada. I have been playing games for <cough> 30 plus years but I have yet to play a RFCM game! I do now own a few sets of RFCM rules though and hope to play some of them this year. I am originally from Yorkshire, in England 'gods own county' as it's called but moved over the pond and have been settled in the former colonies now for nearly 20 years.

As I have no-one local who plays these rules, if I have questions I guess I'll be asking them here. I look forward to playing some of these games and getting some of the local guys interested as well. In the future I'll share my comments and pictures of these games. I do have a varied (too varied) scope of interest in games and also play some board games as well so that may take some time to do.

I'm not the greatest painter but do have a long running blog of all the stuff I paint, plus I put up some game reports/reviews etc. The link to that is here if you are interested: https://mellis1644.wordpress.com

Well nice to meet you all.

The Bane

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »
Hello and salutations! Chet here. I go by "The Bane" on-line, but feel free to use my actual name if you prefer.

Just purchased PBI Company Commander and the PBI Company Architect (literally received the PDFs in my email box this AM, Thanks so much for the speedy turn around!).

I live in very rural Louisiana, USA and the few folks I do get to socialize with are mainly board-gamers. I think I may be able to convince a few of them to try TTWGs, so I am hopeful. I do do a bit of RPG games on-line, and the few actual TTWG (Chain of Command or 5 Core) has been on-line via Roll20 or solo using proxies. Sorry, though PP Miniatures look great, I just can't justify the expense until I get some converts and someone to paint them. Until then I will probably be using proxies.

My areas of interest wise are; World War 2 (obviously), Middle Ages, Medieval, Dark Ages, and some Sci-Fi. But WW2 is the primary genre / age I am interested in and where my interests primarily lie.

About me... well I am a married man pushing 50 that is soon to have my 25th wedding anniversary, with 2 beautiful girls; 20 and 21 years of age. My wife supports my 'nerd games' with a small gaming allowance  ;D when I want something or another, but I can't seem to drag her into any type of gaming, whether it be; RPGs, Boardgames, or TTWGs.  :-[

I served in the US Army for nearly 10 years as a 19D Cavalry Scout (Recon!) until I became too broke to continue. I left the Army in 2000, and have been a civilian contractor pretty much since then - supporting and training troops in one capacity or another.

Really look forward to delving into PBI and hope to get some actual local players involved if I can. Until then, I hope to get the rules squarely under my belt and be a productive member of the forums. Thanks for having me, and from what I have seen thus far, you have a wonderful product, customer service, and community here!

Scouts Out!

The Bane

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 09:05:42 PM »
Welcome Bane, this is just the place for you! Good luck with the rules and has been said elsewhere shout up with any questions.

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 07:49:39 AM »
Welcome Ian. Iíve just had a look at my original post, which is not particularly enlightening. So, RFCM games I have and have played include CWB, Bloody Barons, Hammeriní Iron, RoF, and Square Bashing. Iím not attracted to the post-1925 era where technology seems to become more important than troops (reason I donít play the trench aspects of Square Bashing). As well as RFCM and 15mm figures I also use other rule systems and figure scales, and particularly like Peter Pig 3mm ACW figures which I use with the grand tactical  Altar of Freedom rules.

John Watson

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 06:50:07 PM »
Hello my name is John and I'm an alcohol...... Damn wrong website.
Seriously though I thought I should post this having started to use the site after about 2 years of reading it.
I started wargaming at least 50 years ago and dabble in anything pre 1945. I try to champion PP rules whenever I can but find that folk see them as Marmite and most of my club (Wessex Wargames Society) aren't keen, which is sad. That said I had a very enjoyable PBI 1944 Germans v Russians last meeting. I am the chair of the Lance and Longbow Society so have played lots of Bloody Barons at shows and I am very interested in the development of the new set. Currently my 2d worth is running at about 3 shillings. (If you don't understand the currency ask your parents.) I now live near Hythe in the New Forest, but was previously in London where I gamed with the North London Wargames Group. At wargames shows you will sometimes find me helping my old friend Dave Lanchester selling books from his military book stall.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
Nice to meet you John. And great timing with the new Bloody Barons rules in the pipeline.

I hope you enjoy being a Forum member - please continue to join in with the banter!

Simon

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »
Welcome John; I too am a Lance and Longbow member and have quite a large WOR collection, which began before PP produced the Bloody Barons range, but has since been heavily augmented by the range. I am following the development of BB 2nd edition with great interest.

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
Leman with your large collection what rules do you use?

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 11:18:09 AM »
A bit of a mix. I have already made two armies for use with Bloody Barons, and have had many great games with them. However, I am also a player of Basic Impetus 2  and To the Strongest. I have also been inspired by Fat Wallyís (Kev) WOR prepared for Impetus, so duly looked at my lead mountain. Lo and behold about 90% Peter Pig figures, so I shall be preparing these on 80mm frontage bases for use with BI2 and TtS, using my 10cm squared cloth.

Paul in NZ

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2019, 05:32:56 AM »
Hi guys

I started wargaming 36 years ago with 25mm Hinchliffe Napoleonic's up on Teesside in the UK, but left all my figures and moved to Singapore, before moving to Wellington NZ. 

I've dropped in and out of the hobby but eventually painted some Pendraken 10mm AWI, 7YW and early WW2.  Just started to look at 15mm as my eyes aren't what they were and bought a few odds and ends from 15mm manufacturers, but my few Peter Pig figures are the nicest.

I don't attend any local clubs and just play solo so have to paint both sides.  My old rules are all based on 20x25mm or 25x25mm bases with 4 figures, so just pondering if I need to move to 30x30mm and get used to the extra space... or just stay with 25x25mm.  Looking at AWI, but also WW1 or Vietnam in the future.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 08:14:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum ngn.  Good to have your company here.
No need to change any of your  base sizes for playing PP rules. A lot of PP rules are zonal/gridded/area so the footprint of the unit is not too important.
You may find that gridded games such as the PP ones make for easier solo games. This is  because the grid areas can be identified by number and that number used for random generation and the like(?)

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
Welcome NGN. I play Walter Schnaffs (the FPW version of Square Bashing with 10mm figures on 25mm square bases. Recently I have also moved back to painting 15mm figures, mainly WWI (mostly PP figures), WoR (a substantial number of PP), ECW (again mainly PP), ACW, and the Great Italian Wars (featuring an early range of PP figures, plus many others). My next project will be Longships, which is likely to be a purely PP project. Hope you enjoy your wargaming renaissance and visit the forum often.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 05:05:39 PM »
It is about time you came on this website John. About time we played CWB again ???