Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: visors versus masks  (Read 189 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
visors versus masks
« on: August 01, 2020, 08:46:17 AM »
Assuming that some form of barrier might be need at Entoyment and other public venues when playing games.
Both count as face coverings.
It will be nice, when one day, no face covering is needed.

What do you consider the pros and cons  of face masks/visors.
What would you do of at a public place and wargaming?

martin :)

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: visors versus masks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
Haven't tried a visor or a purpose made mask. I have been using a motorcycle helmet hood. I can put it round my neck and then pull it up when needed. To be honest though it has meant that I have cut down on the amount of shopping that I do as I find it difficult to see clearly or read things, being a spectacle wearer. I also find it spooky as wearing one seems to mess with my peripheral vision.
I don't know if I will be comfortable wargaming with a face covering as I only manage to be comfortable in one for about 15 minutes at a time. Would be OK for PP gamette.
John

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
Well with the new rules of having to wear a mask at the cinema we have cancelled our visit today.
We tried wearing one watching TV, got hot and uncomfortable, so no cinema.

Stewart

Big Mike

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
Just checked, thanks Noggin, visors are about £3-£4 each.
I have only worn a face-mask for any period and it is not conducive to a enjoying a typical length game. There is a strong temptation to take off the mask during the game as they become uncomfortable.
I would be happy to buy a visor if it meant playing regularly games with someone meant of  safety to me and others.
Mike

pbeccas (Paul)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
To throw in another bone.  Just saw a news segment where they compared surgical face masks v cloth face masks.  The surgical masks won hands down for protection.

Brian Cameron

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 02:41:34 PM »
I don't find masks comfortable for long periods.  In my days in manufacturing I often wore a visor (lots of dangerous chemicals) and they're ok.  Anyone who has one of the magnifiers with a headband will be familiar with what it's like wearing one.  They can fog up a bit from your breath but that can be avoided by washing with soapy water, gently wiping of the excess and then letting the visor air dry.  I think motorcyclists may do something similar with the visor in their helmet.

Brian

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »
My wife is a nurse and she has been working with full PPE at times. She advised me re the cheap disposable masks not to waste my money. She says that they are only effective while they are dry, so that once you have breathed out a few times they are useless, because your breath is naturally quite damp.
John

Matías

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
I think a visor would be best if used for many hours, they are a bit more awkward than face masks but more comfortable.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 03:36:10 PM »
The visor in Switzerland has be condemned on its own, apparently. Only good if used in conjunction with a face mask.
The only type I can use, is the type you would use while painting, spraying and sanding.
Miles

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »
The best visors we have seen here are attached to a baseball cap so as to easy the pressure of the band on your head.
My daughter found some at a reasonable price at the catering wholesaler, the are made for peaple working with hot fats to stop the fat spitting into your face.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 06:22:30 PM »
Good information chaps.
Visors seem quite cheap.
I shall buy one just for gaming at clubs and entoyment. Especially if they are more comfortable for longer (3 hours ) periods.
Trouble is, I will not be able to resist walking as if on the moon.

What do people think about an oppenent using a visor as opposed  to one wearing a mask?

martin :o

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 06:32:27 PM »
Just an FYI about visors (learned while i was printing parts for them earlier on).

The material the face shield is made of makes all the difference if you want want to clean/sanitize them. Some plastic are meant as a one use throw away... others will allow for sanitization with cleaner.

Secondly the group i was working with (including a lot of medical types smarter then I) suggested the face shields were not a replacement for the masks...merely a supplement.

Bob

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 08:40:58 PM »
I agree with Bob, a visors primary purpose is to protect you from splashes and to protect the parts of your face not protected by safety glasses. The masks are there to protect others from the droplets you breathe out.

Where I play each player has their own dice tray, dice, tape measure and figures etc., we don't touch anyone elses figures and keep 2m distance at all times. It takes a bit of effort but it's worth it to enjoy the hobby.

Good ventilation is also essential, when possible keep doors and windows open to ensure a good exchange of air.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck