Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RPG and Cavalry in the Supplement  (Read 96 times)

neonthefox12

• Piglet
    • View Profile
RPG and Cavalry in the Supplement
« on: July 29, 2020, 08:56:44 AM »
Was reading the supplement and noticed the line about what weapons cavalry can take. Just for clarification, no RPGS?

Nick

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: RPG and Cavalry in the Supplement
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 10:08:31 AM »
No, itís small arms only for cavalry.

Nick

neonthefox12

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
Oh.....
well, guess the tank can take up the anti tank duties those rpgs guys would do.

Andoreth

• Domestic Pig
  • We all make our own hells
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 07:33:00 PM »
I think the main point is that the rules were written for African conflicts of a particular time where horse units were rare and totally or at least almost entirely the preserve of the former colonial powers in particular the Portuguese and the Rhodesians. So far as I know the Portuguese did not use antitank weapons smaller than the bazooka and while some Rhodesian units such as the Selous Scouts did have access to captured RPGs none of these were used by Grey's Scouts. A particular problem is that the climate in much of Africa does not suit horses so their use would be rare anyway.

That said there is footage of mounted Northern Alliance troops in Afghanistan carrying RPGs, although not of them firing them from horseback. I would suggest that if you were fighting an imaginary campaign where the climate would support or encourage horse riding you could equip your riders with RPGs and modify movement to require the unit to act as modern day dragoons; dismounting, firing and then remounting.

Andrew

neonthefox12

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 11:06:33 PM »
I see