Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nit-picking  (Read 372 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Nit-picking
« on: July 20, 2020, 10:00:10 PM »
It is important to have an"armoury" of trivial facts about war.

These trivial facts should be used in order to interrupt games that others are playing.
Those interrupted are always grateful for the interruption. They also enjoy your putting them right and showing how ignorant they are compared to yourself.
Some practitioners are able to interdict at every game  at a show.
They move from table to table dispensing their wisdom and allowing others to bask in the shared wisdom :)

To help these chaps, can we each suggest a small fact that can be used to interrupt someone's game.

Here are some suggestions.

1. Whenever you see an ACW game, go over and lecture them about how all ACW gun and limber wheels have 14 spokes. A bonus is if you can spot a model on their table that does not have 14 spokes.

2.If some folk are playing WW2, you must go on over and tell them that the tiger turret is not quite symmetrical. That will win you their respect.

Can you suggest some military fact hat has a  use in interrupting some games.  Give the period of the game it can be applied to. It needs to be fact, rather  than just boring folk with a list of what troops you have at home

martin ;D

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Nit-picking
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:34:58 PM »
As a player of Wars of the Roses demonstration games at shows over some 30 years it has always filled me with much joy when someone comes up to me and tells me that the the Earl of Stafford's banner that we have on one of our figures is that of John the 2nd Earl, when it was actually Richard, the 3rd Earl who took part in the battle being fought. As any fool knows John's banner had three choughs on it whilst Richard's had four. Often someone else would tell me that the Duke of Somerset's standard was wrong as the shade of blue we had was far too light, or dark, in 1461. Naturally, at that point, I would pack away all the troops and start an inquest with my fellow gamers to find out which of them had failed to carry out due diligence ( I love that expression) when researching the battle. Once the culprit had been forced to confess, they would be drummed out of the society/club etc and forced to join the Society of Not Terribly Realistic Wargames.
John

Andoreth

• Domestic Pig
  • We all make our own hells
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:37:36 PM »
In a Wild West game involving the cavalry announce that Custer's Last Stand was reported in Chicago two years early when Indian scouts returning ahead of the expedition said that Custer's column
into the Black Hills had been ambushed and massacred.

Andoreth

• Domestic Pig
  • We all make our own hells
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 11:43:55 PM »
In relation to John's point on shades, I had a friend who laboriously painted French Empress Dragoons for his Napoleonic army. On their first outing he was approached by someone who said that the pink facings were not the right shade. My friend moved to ancients after that saying that he challenged anyone to say what shade anything was.

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 03:10:17 AM »
I always love the 'WW2 expert' who walks up to a game to say such and such unit did not fight or that there are more tigers on the table than were actually ever available at X time/location in the war...

Big Mike

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 07:38:33 AM »
Dealing with such smart-arses is an art in itself. Enquiring as to where their game is located and then finding that surprise, surprise they have not brought one allows some satisfaction.
Mike

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 07:50:28 AM »
It is important to look amazed when such wisdom is scattered.Only polite.

The interrupter needs some recognition. Probably best to do as John says and gather the game players together for a brief recess to recognise the contribution made.

A big thank you, then on with the game.
If this happens more than 4 times (exactly that number, scientifically) at a show then you know your game has got someone a bit jealous.

The moral is not to put on historical games?

We are often delighted at Peter Pig show games when some concerned citizen comes along to tell us that we should  be using the rules that he likes.  Once again he is not able to put on a game himself, but is happy to "help out" with advice. He is often able to recount in detail a game he played some time ago that he thought was really good too.

Chap at Warfare Reading show was willing to get Bayonet and Ideology re-written by a  "serious wargamer", we nearly bit his hand off.

martin :)

John in York

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »
Martin, I'm a big fan of your Bayonet & Ideology rules but to be fair they don't take into account the fact the trams continued to run in Madrid during the siege. Surely a serious omission?
John

Mike6t3

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
Say that Orcs are not really Green ! ;D

Tolkien says so.

Mike

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »
I think such people should be glad that they have so much free time on their hands. Aren't they lucky?

Although I think John does raise a good point about SCW trams - I may have to shred my rulebook in protest over such a glaring oversight...

And Mike6t3 is indeed correct. Maybe programmable paints are necessary (zap them with UV or something), so we can update our figures as new historical research comes to light?

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »
Trams are indeed an issue. Dave did raise the issue by putting one on his Arnhem game.It is esay to go down  side roads and avoid facing up to the issue of trams.

martin 8)

Wardy64

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
It is now an up graded armoured tram, able to take out Tigers in a single shot!

Dave

alang

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 11:51:28 AM »
My favourite "expert" comment was directed at a fantasy game adjacent to ours at a convention some years ago.  He opined loudly that "historically" orcs did not wear those colours'!!!!!!!  He was quite rightly ignored.  Regards Alan

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 10:39:26 PM »
Martin,

You will remember the time when I put on the battle of Towton using the original Blood Barons rules at Alumwell. The very first person to stop by the table told me that he would do it in 28mm which would be so much better, and that he hated Bloody Barons.

I immediately thanked him for his insight and grabbed the nearest bin to throw my figures in, ashamed that I thought I could use 15mm. I never returned to the hobby, feeling a complete failure. I took up stamp collecting. I have a rather large collection now. I can show you sometime?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 07:51:53 AM »
Hello Sean
I can imagine that same chap leaning across the fence and giving insight and advice to his neighbours. Such people will preach to everyone, especially those who have no interest in what they are saying. David Icke is a prime example . Remember him?

Part of the "problem" is that most wargamers are  polite and patient, such is the nature of the  hobby.
This makes congregations at shows a great place for such bores to impose themelves .

martin :)