Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first game since lock down  (Read 187 times)

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
My first game since lock down
« on: July 18, 2020, 02:40:42 PM »
Hello,
Thursday evening I went round to my friends house for what I thought was our usual chat. Imagine my surprise and delight when I arrived and was told we'd be playing an actual wargame rather than just talking about wargaming. There was two of us playing a first test of our Dark Age rules for the campaign we'll be starting soon and Dave the host was umpiring. The game was played in 28mm all units are 24 figures strong.

Here's a photo:

We practised social distancing, had our own dice, dice tray, markers etc. We have discovered a few mistakes in the rules where a negative modifier is applied to side A and a positive modifier is applied to side B simultaneously for the same condition e.g. side A are disordered they get -1 in melee and side B get +1 for fighting against disordered troops.

I hope everyone else gets the opportunity to game soon.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: My first game since lock down
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:54:30 PM »
I like the matching beer trays.

And the painted backdrop - a nice touch for "just" a playtest game.

Thanks for sharing.

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:54 AM »
In these dark days it is great to see folk playing.
Do let us now who won etc Martin.
Did you sneak in a tactical trick?

martin :)

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 12:41:13 PM »
Simon,
The beer trays originally held the army so they were only handled by one person, I did use mine for beer too. The painted backdrop is always there as Dave, our host, and Malcolm, photography, write articles for wargame magazines.

Martin G,
I did win, by a narrow margin, no real tactical sophistication from me I know very little about dark age warfare most of which I've gleaned from watching and reading the Saga of Noggin the Nog Tales from the Northlands. :)

We didn't use any archers and apart from some javelin throwing it was basically an advance to contact and melee. My opponents beserkers failed to leave their parent unit and attack one of my warrior units which may have changed the result.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 10:23:47 PM »
.... I know very little about dark age warfare most of which I've gleaned from watching and reading the Saga of Noggin the Nog Tales from the Northlands. :)

Noggin the Nog is a very underused source of inspiration and historical fact, which I think we should try to rectify here on this Forum? He doesn't even have horns on his helmet, which must have seemed quite radical when he first appeared on British TV (when even the Ladybird books of the time had horned Vikings...)?

Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 10:27:16 PM »
Noggin also has it correct on colour.
All the video and photographic evidence from the dark ages is in sepia and black and white.
Good historical insight

martin :)

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 11:39:45 PM »
If you were using beer trays then presumably you had beer. If you had beer then social distancing would not be necessary. Just ask anyone in the Rose and Crown or Red Lion.
(Children don't try this at home. The above statement contains at least one inaccuracy)
John

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 01:14:18 PM »
John,
Only one pint of beer was consumed that evening by one player, I think it contributed to my (narrow) victory.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 12:55:01 PM »
Hi,
Last night was my second post lock down game. Four players this time, playing two games on the large table in the photo, see first post. This time I moved my army to the "military crest" of a row of hills and waited for my opponent to advance to me and fight uphill. This worked and I was fortunate enough to win another victory.

Next week gaming will take place on two evenings due to weight of numbers.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck