Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 25pdr  (Read 112 times)

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
25pdr
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:29:37 AM »
Hi all,
does anyone know when in 1942 the muzzle brake was first fitted to the British 25pdr field gun? Where ever I have searched on t'internet it just says in 1942. I know in PBI stats terms it is not important, but to a pedant like me, it is.
Cheers
John

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: 25pdr
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:08:17 AM »
That will be tricky to find John.
Methinks.
I would suggest that first you need to determine if it was fitted to a new model or retro fitted.
The launch date of a new model might be more definitive.
If retro fitted as an upgrade, then they may have been fitted to see how they work on a limited basis before widely  imposed?

I am just trying to muddy the waters here John. That will help?

This all having beens said, someone out there knows an exact date for build and deployment (maybe?).

martin :)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:19:00 AM »
Martin,

I think you are doing a great job in muddying waters, so I'll try and make a small splash too.

In response to John's post, I've found pictures of the 25 pounder without a muzzle brake dating from both 1944 and 1945. So presumably any retro-fit was not universal.

The first version with the muzzle brake was apparently designated Mk II./1, if that helps any?

Simon

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »
Thanks guys. Helpful as always. I have been studying pictures and reading texts. As you say they were fitted to the Mark II/I but not universally, which makes me think that they were retro fitted. It appears they were needed to stabilise the use of the 20pd shell, so may have only ever been intended to be fitted to some, but not all, guns. Also there was often a necessity for using old models until they either broke, got destroyed or became outdated. I think I will opt for without muzzle break for my desert models in case they are needed for Crete.
John

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 12:29:03 PM »
Morning John, I have emailed 14th Reg R.A. at Larkhill barracks with your question.
Iíll let you know if they get back

Stewart

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 01:42:04 PM »
Thanks Stewart. Pays to have friends in high places.
John

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 02:03:05 PM »
Failing that, the Royal Artillery Archive: https://www.facebook.com/RoyalArtilleryArchive/

or the Royal Artillery Museum: https://royalartillerymuseum.com/contact

might be able to help?

Simon

Andoreth

• Domestic Pig
  • We all make our own hells
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
Muzzle brakes were introduced to allow the weapon to use super charges in late 1942, guns were retrofitted as circumstances allowed so it is quite possible to find guns without brakes late in the war. The most obvious illustration of the switch of barrels is perhaps in the SP guns where the Bishop used the Mark 2 barrel whist its successor the Sexton used Mark 2/1 barrel in mid 1943.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »
Of course the other problem would be, Britain and her Commonwealth Allies fought on many different fronts, not just ETO. So supply of weapons would vary across the theatres of operations. Burma for instances was always behind the rest of the army etc. So this would throw the timeline out somewhat ???
I think I would apply the principal is this an early war gun or late war gun pre 1943 ( 1941/42/43 in use)or post 1943? ( 1943/44/45) Then apply the muzzle brake accordingly.
Miles