Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: May end mould  (Read 521 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: May end mould
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 11:28:25 AM »
That half track is wonderful. Sort of future German?
I think I was too old to have crossed with this.
Maybe it was when I was collecting Manfred Mann's earth band albums. Such classic tracks as "All through the eighties"

martin :)

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
The paras range is growing quite nicely.

Those Meccano kits came out long after I stopped using it. I used to make "machines" for my Mamod steam engine to drive, unfortunately I didn't know about locking nuts and such things so they usually shock themselves to bits after a few minutes running. The base plates on Mamod engines were drilled to match Meccano spacing.

Best wishes,
Martin

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »
Looks like I am not the only one who never saw there military kits....  too bad I am sure I would have wanted several.

Bob

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »
Mamod. Wow! Dreamt about owning one of those Martin. Were they any good?

martin

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 06:11:08 PM »
Mine was (and still is). I couldn't get one on the Meccano bases, nor could I quite run to the roadster, but I did get a traction engine, which occasionally still comes out to play.

Maybe I'll bring it down to Weymouth for a run around the garden once this is all behind us, Martin?

Simon

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Saw these occasionally on our side of the pond....but I never had one.  I also never knew they were still in oroduction. Just found the web site & went & had a look.  That is quite a range they still produce. Looks like a direct from the factory buisness model now.

Bob

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 06:51:18 PM »
Excellent Simon. Look forward to it. Does it take the authentic 2 hours to warm up? :)

martin

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 08:00:54 PM »
Martin,

I'll get it primed in the car on the way down :)

Simon

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 05:41:29 PM »
My brother had a stationary engine on the Meccano base. I saved up for quite a long time, birthday, Christmas and pocket money for a steam lorry. It got sold when my parents moved to Cornwall.

We used to boil the kettle and fill the boiler with the hot water to cut down on heating time, ours used methylated spirit, the newer ones use a tablet type fuel. I seem to remember getting a higher capacity spirit burner but may be wrong, it was a long time ago.

Best wishes,
Martin Buck

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 06:33:52 PM »
No your right Martin, the early ones were with Meths. The tablets came in with the Mamod engines.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 06:41:45 PM »
I guess it could get a bit hairy with meths sloshing around as your traction engine races round the living room. That probably explains why you can no longer get the meths trays (would be much cheaper on the fuel!).

Simon

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
Hi,
The methylated spirit, boiling water, steam and matches or a lighter were part of the attraction of the steam engine, they were all things, we as young boys, wouldn't under normal conditions be allowed to "play with". A running Mamod or other steam engine has their own smell of hot oil and burning fuel. The smell takes me back to childhood days in the garage messing about with Meccano and steam.

We had a small number of the proper Mamod machinery polishing wheels, steam hammer etc, we screwed them to a piece of plywood to keep them stable, but making our own "machines" were far more exciting and fun.

You used to be able to buy spirit burners on eBay etc. not sure of the current availability.

Happy days,
Martin Buck