Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: French Napoleonic Flags  (Read 293 times)

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
Re: French Napoleonic Flags
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 07:37:04 AM »
I've seen a number of preserved French flags (NAM, Vienna, Les Invalides) and they were all about 1m square.

Questions about Napoleonic flags? Well can I be first to request Duchy of Warsaw Krakus?

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »
I can only assume that this whole thread is a precursor to Martin expanding his Napoleonic range.

Maybe to support a new RFCM ruleset, with a figure:man ratio of around 1:800, so a single figure represents a battalion.

The figures can thus all be standard bearers, both simplifying sculpting requirements and making for a very colourful game.

Have I guessed right, Martin?

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 08:43:31 AM »
From a business sense Napoleonics would be something I'd steer well clear of. So many variants, that to do it justice you'd have to have literally thousands of codes. French line infantry went through a plethora of uniform styles in the space of twenty plus years - and we know how obsessive about detail many Napoleonic gamers and modellers can be. There are far too many 'complete ranges' out there that have massive gaps. French Old Guard? Everyone and their dog makes them, Confederation of The Rhine? Not so many. Duchy of Warsaw? Excluding the cross over with Vistula Legion (which wouldn't please many) only one or two. Personally I have old Heritage French line in shako, they'll do for everything. My Naismith British wear Belgic shako have dark grey trousers and are happy to fight in the Peninsular War. (That statement alone would put many an obsessive's blood pressure through the roof.)

A very crowded market place too, how could you stand out amongst the crowds?

Whilst excellent sculpts will always sell, you'd have to have very deep pockets and an army of sculptors working for you, to create anything remotely resembling a 'range'. Plugging the gaps could work, would work at 28mm but at 15mm? I see 15mm as a design concept rather than an actual measurement - we all know how wildly different the interpretations of 15mm actually are. I find it strange that so many new Napoleonic ranges surface from time to time; it has to be noted that many stall fairly quickly.

As for the Colonel's tongue in cheek comment (I hope): a fun, not overly complex Napoleonic game would be brilliant. But the noise the button counters would make? Would be worth it just to hear them explode with rage - "not enough tables", "doesn't take in to account the extra numbers of buttons post Bardin", "this is Napoleonics, this isn't about fun" etc etc

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 09:40:38 AM »
If you were looking to "do" Napoleonics without the heartache Radar describes how about the wars of the Liberators or the War of 1812. Both provide much of the flavour of the period without the need for armies the size of Stevenage. In 15mm I am aware of only one producer of 15m figures in the whole World. I think there may be a few more ranges around for 1812 though. As for source material Parkfield Miniatures have a good range to support their 28mm figures.
John

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 12:07:51 PM »
No worries.
No intention to tease folk. :)
I have plenty of irons in the fire and am keeping them close to my chest!

I have absolutely no intention of doing a Napoleonic range. 
The topic was for those interested in such things.  I am interested in most aspects of warfare and am always keen to learn more.
My next discussion thoughts were going to be about those Japanese suicide bomb planes (not  normal kamikaze) and their effectiveness. Once again, no range of Japanese bomb planes is planned?

martin

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
Excellent! I had thought that the "bomb planes" were indeed the "kamikaze" (divine wind, as per the one that save Japan from that wicked Mongol fleet of ships centuries earlier) - others were just planes that the pilots crashed - intentionally or not?

But I digress - back to Napoleon's flags....

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
These bomb planes, how many can you have ?
Do they have the same effect as 4 squares of HE?
Can each platoon have a couple, say 1 per 5 bases?

Stewart

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
And what range, Stewart - how far can you throw one?

Simon

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »
Wow, where to break in on this conversation.

I suspect it is ďfairĒ if the bomb plane is an old clapped out Betty bomber....old, slow & catchable. However change to an oka rocket plane.... hard to catch... but big guys just donít fit inside one of them..🤔

The war of 1812.... interesting.  But seriously Martin (as a hobby blacksmith) keeping ironís in the fire & close to the chest can be a rather bad thing...even if you have a leather apron on.

And Napoleonics...  have parts of an army but never finished....& have never found a fun set of rules to play....

Bob

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 03:31:11 PM »
Didnít Tamiya put one in with their 1/48th bomber kit ?
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »
They were very small - I remember seeing one in a museum in Japan. I'll have to search for the photo.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 05:58:04 PM »
I will start a new thread for this

martin

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2020, 08:35:00 PM »
New thread called 'Flights of Fancy'!!

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=530724

At last. A thread about this important topic. Do read. :o

martin

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:31 AM »
Now I know why I don't do Napoleonic wargaming.
John