Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Typical army composition  (Read 326 times)

Matías

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Typical army composition
« on: April 10, 2020, 06:03:53 PM »
Hello. I'm very interested in these rules, the Sengoku Jidai is a really interesting period to me. I even practiced Kenjutsu for a while so I'm almost a real Samurai   ???

I have read in the rules site that a typical army would consist of a Daimyo (commander in chief) and 3 clan leaders. 3 samurai foot units (each of 6 bases), 6 ashigaru units (each of 8 bases) and a Hatamoto (generals personal bodyguard unit).

That's around 200 minis if I'm doing my calculations right. Now, that's a lot of soldiers for someone who has only painted platoon sized forces before and is a sloe painter. And I will probably have to buy AND paint my opponent forces too, so that's around 400 miniatures!

So, my question is, are there any other army configurations with smaller numbers? Would the game be dynamic and fun with smaller forces? Could you share some of your army configurations?

Thanks!
Matías.

usagitsuki

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: Typical army composition
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:02:10 PM »
I've played it with 50 bases a side in 6mm, so that would equate to 150 figures a side in 15mm, which isn't much of a saving, but that game worked fine. Units are 8 bases for ashigaru and 6 for samurai.

I started Sengoku Jidai in 15mm doing both sides and it was a bit of a struggle (and I'm a fast painter). You could maybe aim for something like Lion Rampant as a half way point to get the figures on the table and keep the motivation going, but painting 2 Sengoku armies outside of 6mm is a daunting prospect.

Matías

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Typical army composition
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:04:05 AM »
Thanks usagitsuki, I did look into 10mm and even 6mm, that's probably the way to go with huge armies. I think I might keep to platoon sized forces for now.