Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Confinement  (Read 651 times)

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
Re: Confinement
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Busy day today, we recently  had a new fuse box fitted, the RCD didn't work properly. The electrician didn't refit the cupboard it was in. Cupboard cutout didn't fit so it needed enlarging, this took all morning and a hour after lunch. The lifting and bending involved wasn't good for my back so I haven't done anything productive this afternoon. So figure priming will have wait till tomorrow.

Keep safe,
Martin Buck

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:21 PM »
We are on week 2 and my painting level are down. Family around and me having a job I do remotely anyway means I am less productive than normal and got more to do...

In the weekend I did look at my lead and plastic mountain and decided that even if I stopped buying now I still don't think I'd have it all painted in many years. Still did not stop me looking to buy things again later in the week. :)

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »
After an early modern history home school lesson yesterday (recreating Streeter's Plan) it's back to fiddling around with pipework under the bath and in the wall.

Well it would have been if I didn't have to spend all morning sorting out car insurance for #2 son's car: some numpty was driving way too fast through the village, lost control and shunted a line of parked cars. Wrote off the three cars in front of #2's car. His had minor damage. The driver got shipped off to hospital, I hope he isn't too badly injured. Hate to think what speed he must have been doing to cause that much damage.

This afternoon, the tricky bit of pipework in the wall was finished, just need to reconnect everything under the bath now; but the limited opening hours and restrictions on what you can buy at Screwfix is dragging the whole process out until lunchtime tomorrow.

Annoying, but we're all healthy so in the grand scale of things it's not that important.

John Watson

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 11:02:07 PM »
Reading all these stories about diy makes me glad that I am officially a diy klutz and not trusted to deal with anything that involves gas, water, electricity, cars ....you get the picture. So once the garden and shopping are done it's back to painting.
John

Noggin

• Supporter 2020
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 12:48:49 AM »
An awful lot of gardening at present. School is closed. I am pretty much self isolating as I have a vulnerable daughter. Had a Skype gym session today. Got a copy of Hunters - a solo U-boat game - to pass the time.

Finished my PP Pirates - just need to base them. Started on the defenders alongside some 10mm ECW and a few odds and ends. Looking forward to making a dent in the painting queue.

Avoiding shops and doing whatever I can online.

Enjoying this weather though.

Nicholas

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »
Nice to see that HMG who make Coat d'Arms paints (amongst others) have converted to making hand sanitiser with their alcohol stocks. They are supplying Greater Manchester Police amongst others.

John in York

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 02:49:36 PM »
Brilliant Radar. I use that brand. I'll tell my eldest daughter. She has been compiling a list of 'good' and 'bad' companies during this crisis, particularly with regard to how they've treated their staff.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »
Home schooling is going well, but leaves little time for hobby.
We've just written a postcard home from the trenches for a WW1 project.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 03:32:22 PM »
Day 5
We have turned Sueís saloon into a home gym.
One 1/4 mile walk with the dogs is our one daily outing for exercise/fresh air and pick up bread and milk if required.
17 days to go before reassessment of the situation.
Morale remains high

Stewart

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 03:51:12 PM »
Your being optimistic with 17 days ? If my wifeís car now has a 6 month extension to the MOT I think that would be a better judge to go on ?
Miles

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
I'm as pessimistic as you are, Miles.

If we're talking about turning a corner in 12 (maybe 11, now), I reckon that means that I have at least 11 weeks to work out how best to juggle home tuition with working from home such that I can optimise my painting time  ;)

Big Mike

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 05:53:45 PM »
The gardening has come to an abrupt halt. Buying grass seed is not an essential item to venture out for so "sadly" I must apply myself to painting Derbish Camelry. Is it true that camels spit? I have ridden one on holiday on Gran Canaria and the animal's head stayed safely pointing ahead.
Roman Legionary to wounded/dead Zulu conversion going well so far.
The grim news from Italy and Spain today suggests 11 weeks is just a way-point in a long journey out the crisis.

John Watson

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »
Mike, hardware stores, who sell grass seed in most cases, are regarded by the Government as essential stores, so you might be ok for that. The reason they are essential is because they sell household fuel.
I too am pessimistic about the return to normal. Some traders have a dilemma where show dates have been put back and now clash with shows that are already scheduled. For example the revised date for TankFest is 10th to 13th September, which clashes with Colours. There are other examples as well but I won't bore you all. I think the more realistic approach would be to adopt the Salute approach and plan for next year.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »
Well at the Moment  I am being optimistic, enjoying every day with my wife instead of separated by work, (she normally works at the bottom of the garden) but I should have been away now for 5 weeks. Slight downer NO MONEY but then most shops are shut so couldnít spend it anyway.

Making a list of what packs I want when we can trade again.

Stewart

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 05:59:46 AM »
Stewart,Well at least you should get some by June ? For this Government itís a start ?
I am still at work, for the foreseeable future.
Itís very weird driving past Hurn Airport and seeing 30 plus BA Aircraft parked up !
Miles