Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peter Pig Rules you play..... Poll  (Read 726 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Pig Rules you play..... Poll
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 04:03:58 PM »
I think the best 5 would have been better. 3 is too narrow a list. Hammering Iron and Pirates would have gone on my list as well.
After playing Pits the other day I fancy exploring what other 19th C warfare it could be used for, namely Westerns.
Miles

Ah - so having seen the results you want to change the rules now, Miles?  :D

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 06:40:19 PM »
Miles..ok I will come clean as to wht this is the way it is...

But ...Much chuckling coming from the corner here...  i wanted to see if people would have to nash there teeth to come up with there top three as compared to just list all of theres.

In my case P Pig rules just are not widely seen out here...and in the past i have picked up 3 different  sets (while at Brookhurst hobbies  only to put them  back down & walk away. So I started this having bought two sets finally from brookhurst (thinking hey these arenít bad). Oh grid, squares...hmm i can imagine what my gaming buddies are going to say...  AND then i ordered a bolshevick army (and painted it) (a big thing as i usually only do 25-28ís & am far from anything described as a fast painter.

So i ordered 3 more from the P Pig web site ...in paper (still havenít seen them & waiting patiently) so while waiting i ordered 2 more in PDF...   and i really want to see the new Bloody Barons... so I did the poll....thinking ďHi my name  is Bob & I have a rules fascination problemĒ.....   But wanted  to see what others on this forum had to say.  (Happy to now think I am quite normal)

Happy to play a good game, want to have fun, argue not at all...and just enjoy things... which i think i am going to a lot.    Plumbing tools like big pipe wrenches are for convincing your gaming buddies to give it a try...😇

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 06:49:08 PM »
Nic one Bob. On the no arguments subject Martin taught me an important lesson. That is to tell your opponent what you are doing when you move troops. i.e. I have moved my infantry unit up towards your artillery but they are just outside short range. That way your intention is made clear even if your fumbling fingers can't cope with the accuracy of the move.
John

Noggin

• Supporter 2020
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 01:28:16 AM »
I like Hammeriní Iron - have a lot of ships for both sides.

Western - a number of different forces

Pieces of Eight - two fleets, pirate land force and working on the defenders

Also love Samurai, Longships, Washingtonís Army and Spanish Civil War

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 09:14:15 AM »
Bob,

This did cause mashing of teeth, and to be honest yesterday's choice is probably different to tiday or tomorrow's choice.

Interesting thread and discussion though 👍

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2020, 05:06:05 PM »
Ok 23 members have voted s far.... i wanted to bring this back & see if we can get any more votes as the choices are fascinating ...  any one want to change... now that Bloody Barons are out.

Bob

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 08:51:42 PM »
Pirates is the correct one.

myrm

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
Hammerin Iron is my top one and I have a reasonable collection for it

PBI comes second and I use my FoW forces in that so can manage a couple of armies (Hungarian and Soviets) plus clubmates have all sorts to use.

Wardy64

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
SCW is my favourite rule set, but the one played the most indoors is PBI over 20 games this year.

David & Ben

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »
Part of the reason this is so hard, is you can only have forces and armies for so many rule sets. My time over the years has been limited, so to try and game/paint and live a life, working and being married etc. I think a lot of us obviously have the same commitments or similar.
 A lot of us try and play these games as they come out every year etc, but there is always some that hit the heart more than others. So with that in mind, 3 game choice is very hard.
PBI is very big on the list, as is AK47( but which version ? ) Hammering Iron I am glad to say is up there. As with Pirates, CWB, Vietnam and no doubt Bloody Barons will be up there if re done for next year.
 Another thing that has been touched on, I myself i am starting this as well, making forces for multiple games and systems. Obviously being a PP fan it is easier, as Martin uses the 3x3 base mainly throughout. I ve said for years a person who plays FoW with little adjustments can use his mainly infantry as well as a selection of supporting weapons and vehicles to play PBI.
 Itís nice to see this list was created from memberís across the globe.
Miles

Mike6t3

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
I haven't voted as I have only really played Bloody Barons (1st edition) and PBI 1st edition.
I also own Square Bashing (newer version), PITS and AK47.

Being of a heretical nature I have to say Bloody Barons didn't really float my WoTR boat  (I have yet to find a ruleset that does), I found PBI a bit clunky and ended up rebasing my figures for Flames of War which I grew to dislike with a passion.

Square Bashing looks very interesting but I would have to provide two armies and don't have the time to do all the painting.

Hence no vote from me... sorry  :(

Andoreth

• Domestic Pig
  • We all make our own hells
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 10:45:45 PM »
I gave up playing Peter Pig rules once they became gridded so I could only vote for 2 sets. Love the figures not interested in the rules. I am building up forces for the Spanish Civil War but will play this with Battlefront Early War rules and the Spain in Flames Supplement. There is some support at the club for ECW hopefully using the By Fire and Sword rules and all the figures I have for this so far are Peter Pig as well.