Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3d Printing & Gaming  (Read 265 times)

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
3d Printing & Gaming
« on: March 21, 2020, 03:47:49 AM »
In a conversation outside the forum Simon (The illustrious Col Kilgore) suggested I start a thread about my 3d printing.  Now I am semi reluctant to just dump a bunch of pictures of projects so I thought I would ask if others are interested in this conversation at all?

I will start by saying I am far from any kind of guru & the word “expert” should be highly frowned upon. I have two machines (managed to get one working reliably), so can print things i can acquire a file for.... (well most of the time). I am trying to learn  some of the 3d modelling programs, but at this point would be best described as “bumbling idiot”.  So I find some of the free files online or buy some through vendors.

I doubt people who sculpt will get replaced any time soon.

There are a number of different types of 3d printing machines...on mine i print in simple plastic (PLA). This is amongst the simpler & less expensive materials. Does a nice building or similar. If you want to do figures or vehicles with a lot of undercuts (think bogie wheels on tanks) you best use a resin printer (works with liquid resin)....but the price of the printer goes up as does the cost of the material.

Many printer choices..cheap to expensive,  support to absolutely no support, etc.  Generally if you want to take this up (reluctant to call it a hobby...more of an enabler) get one with a heated bed feature with as big a bed size as you can afford... 8” square is a nice compromise. Everyone would like a deal.... remember this area is truly one where you get what you pay for.

While it can be cheaper then buying terrain, that sure isn’t as much as one would think. It does however allow you a lot of flexibility where you can scale a piece, or stretch it..... or even take a train model & scale to fit on TT track.

So is this a topic there is any further interest in?

Bob

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Printing & Gaming
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 07:22:36 AM »
Bob,
Many thanks for taking up my challenge on this - I've already learned a lot from that first post!
I think many of us are intrigued by this new technology  and its potential in this hobby.
I for one am glad that it won't be likely to replace traditional "putty" figure sculptors anytime soon.
However, seeing catalogues of 3D building files as well as some photos of the wonderful prints you have produced, the future seems to be here already for that kind of inanimate object.
I look forward to seeing what others have to say / ask on this subject.
Simon

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 07:41:51 AM »
Yes Robert. Most interested.  The future is on its way :)

martin

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 07:49:15 AM »
Thanks Bob. You may or may not be able to answer my questions (if anyone else can, please chip in).

Starting point: I am always looking around for good buildings, nice wonky medieval/early modern suitable for C17th England. MDF can be nice, but too square, plus the amount of work needed to lose the MDFness of them is almost on a par with scratch building. Looking around on forums etc you see pictures of great printed buildings.

So here's my questions (finally I hear you ask):

Where can I get commercially available files from?
Are all files compatible with all machines?
If an object has been designed in 28mm, can it easily be rescaled in 15mm say? Simple % reduction or slightly more complicated?

Where I live we constantly get lots of mini power cuts, so home printing might not be an option (length of time required for a print); are there any commercial printers in the UK?

Apologies, that's a lot of questions, hope I haven't scared you off.

Thanks, Radar

Ivan Zaitzev

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 03:14:59 PM »
Hello Radar, maybe I can answer some of your questions.

Commercial files can be downloaded from many sites, Wargaming 3D and Paint & Glue are such sites. From Wargaming 3D you can buy files and from P&G you can buy the already printed building.

Files are compatible with all machines, but there are two technologies, Filament and Resin. Resin gives you better resolution (less lines) so more details can be printed. So a file designed to be printed in resin might not look great if printed in a filament machine.

I have reduced some HO scale and some 28mm stuff to 15mm with success, but as with the technology thing above, a file so detailed for 28mm might not print well in 15mm. Specially things like gun barrels or rivets in tanks.

Matías.

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
One of the things that put me off some 3D printed and resin cast buildings is the very obvious and frequent repeats of stone textures, is it possible to alter the stone texture, pattern, of files before printing them?

This technology does have it's possibilities and it should lead to a greater diversity of models available to us all whether it's through purchasing files or printed models.

Regards,
Martin Buck

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »
Ok Radar why don’t we deal with your questions first.... i started with many of these myself.  So a bit about process & setup before your specifics.

First off many design programs offer an option all 3d printer software can use a .STL file... (there is another one that escapes me right now, but not as popular). Then to use on a printer...the file needs to be put through a “slicer” program (there are two most popular & free one is cura ...again the other slips my mind right now) (not enough coffee this morning).  The slicer is where a file that goes to your printer is created... what kind of material(i use PLA, also available ABS & many others) how thick your layers are, etc etc. Here is where you can scale up or down uniformly, or an individual line.....    Then you get a file that can go on to your printer (mine loads my transferring  to an SD card)... printer reads & starts printing.

Now don’t get confused with all this mumbo jumbo.... it is a lot easier then it sounds.

I get free files off  https://www.thingiverse.com/   (Massive free site...not everything is top notch)

I get some files from wargames vault.

I also have participated & bought the very wonderful work of mr Jens Najewitz. Jens does kickstarter campaigns that  includes  A range of 3d stl files for a period...  he also sells off his web site.  https://3dprintterrain.myshopify.com/    He also updates any mistakes too.

Others are out there... search for STL file wargame  or something similar.

Rescaling....no problem...done in the slicer (where you also have to check to make sure you don’t scale up so much you go bigger then your printer build plate.  Jens does his files in 20 mm...rescale to 15mm is 73%....rescale to 28 mm is 127%.

All files are compatible...IF the design program or a utility program can take that format & save to STL format...almost all do.

Power bumps.... ah yes totally understand that. Two things....put your printer on a ups that will hold it over a quick power blip.....and some printers (like mine) now come with a power interruption feature....after going down it immediately asks if you want to continue where you left off....also a feature if you run out if filiment...do you want to add more...&then goes back to where you were. (Many earlier ones would just be done & force you to throw things out & start over..... bad for the guys doing a 30 hr print job)

Printers in the UK...well yes I am positive there are... but i live in Canada (Vancouver area) & its prob been 20 years since i have  been to the UK....so dealers who knows. 😀)

But will talk about printers shortly.... mean time if you want more info...try finding a back issue if MAKER magazine (december issues) they went bust but have restarted..  they always did a massive review of 3d printers....including software & process.  Maybe you have library that  has them... lots of good info there.

Lastly any more drop me an email....  i also have a few laser cutter/engravers & have done buildings & trays etc etc... but not the same as the big companies.

So here's my questions (finally I hear you ask):

Where can I get commercially available files from?
Are all files compatible with all machines?
If an object has been designed in 28mm, can it easily be rescaled in 15mm say? Simple % reduction or slightly more complicated?

Where I live we constantly get lots of mini power cuts, so home printing might not be an option (length of time required for a print); are there any commercial printers in the UK?

Apologies, that's a lot of questions, hope I haven't scared you off.

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
Martin,

Yes its all a function of what the designer does in the original design program.

Also should add many 3d buildings when done have a bit of a textured surface from how thick the layers are... and all models also needs a bit of clean up..when finished.

Bob

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
Ok some of the things i have been doing with my printer recently...

Train bits...scaled down to 15 mm ish with running gear adjusted to fit the TT track. kreative scenery design out of NZ.

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
Wowsers! Thanks for the answers Bob. You've earned yourself a cup of tea there. And a biscuit. Thank you.

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »
Some bits in 15 mm I did for Simon recently. (Jens Najewitz designs)

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 04:08:42 PM »
And a few more bits i am doing for another  project in 15 mm... destroyed french village. (Jens Najewitz designs)

Moggy

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 05:47:28 PM »
Really great stuff there.

Out of my reach price and tech wise. I still haven't figure out the printer at work properly let alone something like that.

Derek

Ivan Zaitzev

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 12:14:34 AM »
There are places that will sell you printed stuff. I don't own a printer but have a guy that prints them for me.

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 01:16:28 AM »
Great point Ivan...fills a lot of holes without having to buy ne.