Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 36 pack challenge  (Read 289 times)

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
The 36 pack challenge
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
In the Wild West wagons thread, Martin said he manages to produce about 36 new packs a year.

So, in the spirit of panic buying toilet roll* (which seems to be the new societal norm these days), you are the first in the queue to have dibs on these 36 new packs.

Of course this is just for fun, and a distraction from the news. Except for ECW suggestions, which must be produced because all other ranges are inferior  ;)

If Martin disappears, the police could use the thread as a basis for a kidnapping charge...

So what are your 36 packs and why? ('Just because' is an acceptable reason.) You can of course be utilitarian and not use the full 36 quota.

* they were panic buying bottled water in my local Asda yesterday, do people not have taps?

Martin Smith

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Re: The 36 pack challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »
I thought the only store which would see panic buying of bottled water would have been Fortnum and Masons (or maybe Waitrose) 😶

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:57:36 AM »
I was shocked. Even more so the fact that the longlife soya milk shelf was pretty much empty too (there's only a handful of weirdos like me who use soya, in these parts)

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 09:06:08 AM »
Some of the stuff flying off the shelves at my local Coop is decidedly odd, but thankfully fresh fruit and veg and almond milk is still in plentiful supply. With loo roll vanishing, it was interesting to note that by midday yesterday almost all the newspapers had sold out!

John Watson

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:25:53 AM »
In our Tesco it is baked beans and loo rolls. Simple solution. Leave the beans on the shelf and you won't need so much loo roll.

John Watson

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 09:36:53 AM »
Ok so 36 packs. Definitely not Napoleonics. Vastly over rated war-games era, in my opinion.
I think Martin has already done a pretty good job on 20th century wargaming. I've even managed to make up a Greek company using only PP figures.
I think Martin would make some splendid Italian Wars figures or Hoplite Greeks, but other manufacturers have done these to death (oh, sorry).
How about one of the many South American wars, like the Guano War. There are very few or even no one that does those,depending on the war you pick. The armies, in the limited reading I have done, are often quite small, but are colourful and could be a new set of PP rules. "Liberation or Death" perhaps.

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 09:39:32 AM »
At the risk of looking like I'm panic buying in my own thread, here goes:-

• lowland pike open hand
  • unarmoured pike (6 packs - vertical, horizontal and 45 degree, all in with pikes and open hand variants)
  • armoured pike with tassets (6 packs as above)
  • lowland muskets loading
  • Covenanter personalities
  • Scots Royalist personalities
  • Parliamentarian personalities
  • Royalist personalities
  • a second pack of generic generals
  • siege mortar
  • dismounted harquebusiers
  • siege engineers
  • heads wearing secrets
  • heads wearing zischagges
  • caltrops

Serious requests
Lowland pike- I'm fed up of drilling hands out
Heads packs - would give good opportunities headswapping existing figures (secret heads could also double for Israeli Defence Force wearing kippahs)

Half serious requests
Personalities and generals - you can never have enough generals, plus a little bit of green eyed envy looking at the ACW range, which must be pointed out is an inferior civil war  ;)
Pike - tassets and unarmoured, covers all bases for pikemen throughout the stages of the wars
Dismounted harquebusiers - I really would like some
Lowland musket loading - for some variety

Not serious requests
Siege engineers, mortar - just because
Caltrops - love to see anyone try to sculpt these accurately in 15mm! Yes I know By Fire and Sword have a man throwing caltrops, but I don't think they have any deployed, which is what is needed here  ;)

As you can see I haven't been greedy, only taking up 25 packs; leaving a further 11 packs for those lesser, minor conflicts such as WW2, WoTR etc etc

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »
...and could be a new set of PP rules. "Liberation or Death" perhaps.

I read that as Libation or Death, surely the perfect title for some French foreign Legion Beau Geste rules

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 10:42:13 AM »
I've even managed to make up a Greek company using only PP figures.

John,

That is impressive - I had assumed that you'd had to pick some figures from other (inferior ;)) ranges to make up your Greek force. Would you mind sharing (maybe this merits a new thread) what figures you used to achieve this feat?

Simon

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:53 PM »
Just five packs for me.

SCW 60mm mortar teams, although these could be made from head swapping French Motorised troops Pack No: 419.
SCW Lewis gun teams again can made by head swapping Dutch infantry Pack No: 512.
SCW Italian CTV in Adrian helmets could also be used for Italian troops in WW1, again can be made by head swapping the WW2 figures.
SCW Harley Davidson Flat head with side car and two or three crew.
1930's Civilian truck Ford V8, FIAT or similar type.

Regards,

Martin Buck

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 08:24:27 PM »
Yes panic buying TP & anything that says disinfectant  rules the day here too.

Now i don’t play PBI (yet) but also would love to see that greek company & what you are using for figures as well.

I would love to see some Mexicans from the 1916-1918 period and while wishing...I would love to see what Martin could do with a “War of Spanish Succession” period as well. (Both rules & figures). Yes i have some with friends having gotten 25-28 mm going over the years... but would like to see it again back in 15mm. (And the on the Spanish front )

But I haven’t figured out the process of how to send a pint or two by mail in order to start bribing Martin.

Bob

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 08:43:23 PM »
Hi Bob,

To send Martin G some beer you could start with website https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/ My friend usually sends me a selection  box (crate?) for my birthday.

Regards,

Martin Buck

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 04:00:19 AM »
I use Soya milk out in my cabin. As a vegetarian friend of mine pointed out, it has no animal fat in it ! But from a practical point of view it lasts longer in the fridge. I must admit I love the taste of Oat milk as a drink on its own.
I was quite shocked as Radar says that even the long life plant milks are now being raided. Our local Sainsbury’s even the Beer shelves are empty.
 To more serious matters:
It would have to be ACW and Westerns packs I am after at the moment. So 36 packs of Martins good ACW/Western range ? What is available ?
Miles

Brian Cameron

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 10:18:37 AM »
Having just figured out that I have figures in scales from 6mm to 54mm covering 28 periods I should probably say that I don't need any more.  However, I'd hate to see all the workers at (15mm) mill starving so I'd go for Renaissance / Great Italian wars, a colourful period covering a wide range of troop types  and suited to battles or smaller actions.  I reckon 36 packs should be able to cover the basics.

It's possibly worth seeing how far cloning technology has got.

Brian

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 08:09:16 AM »
Some Irish, Scots and early Landsknecht types to box off the WOR range. The latter would be in tight hose, not much flounce to the tunics, soft hats and definitely no buckler. Some might sport a bit of body armour or the occasional helmet.