Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Salute and COVID 19  (Read 1538 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Salute and COVID 19
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »
That would be a 1973 viva. Mark 2  or 3 (very flat). Great cars in "the day".  Junk by today's standards though. :(

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »
Just heard on the news from an insurance expert that insurance only kicks in for businesses if they insured for loss due to COVID-19 specifically. So these businesses that are hoping they can claim if the Government cancels events may find that they are not covered. What joy!

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
That would be a 1973 viva. Mark 2  or 3 (very flat). Great cars in "the day".  Junk by today's standards though. :(

Clearly some serious Vauxhall Viva knowledge here.

He had a navy Viva prior to that. Vinyl seats. Went to Knowsley safari park on the hottest day of the year in it. My sister and I were stripped down to our pants on the back seat, our skin melting into the vinyl. No aircon (obviously) just the air vents that only worked when the car was moving.  Standing traffic in the animal enclosures, and a strict keep your windows closed meant we were all literally cooking in side the car. On the plus side my dad was having a metaphorical aneurism because the baboons were on sat on his car doing wee-wees and bending the aerial.

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
Just heard on the news from an insurance expert that insurance only kicks in for businesses if they insured for loss due to COVID-19 specifically. So these businesses that are hoping they can claim if the Government cancels events may find that they are not covered. What joy!

Where there's a policy, there's a way to wriggle out of paying claims. Or so it would seem to the lay person.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
Vinyl seats, no headrests, 4 gears, 4 start petrol, monoxide in the cabin and drum brakes. What a car.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »

Where there's a policy, there's a way to wriggle out of paying claims. Or so it would seem to the lay person.

Well if traders can't predict the possible impact that previously unknown diseases might have on their business model, how can insurers possibly be held accountable? Moreover, it might distract them form counting all those policy payments they've received but won't ever have to pay out on :o

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 03:19:35 PM »
As much as we all hate having favourite events closed it is going to be Something they have to do.

Checked in on a good friend last night who works in the industry & was at the big GAMA convention (in Los vegas I think)...which of course they went head with. There was something going around that was dubbed the ‘convention crud’.  Well after getting home & self isolating he comes down with it (as have many) and he tells me he is off to get C19 tested this morning.

Not sure about the UK, but things in Canada are moving very quickly with closures & restrictions... we are about to be on our third day of a major address to the nation by the prime minister.  So someone will step up & close it.

Moggy

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
I have had the "act of god" thrown in my face today as well. Holiday to Canada/Alaska in May/June.  Maybe I can sue god like in that Australian Billie Connolly film?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2020, 08:00:20 PM »
How are we all fairing.

We are having to stay at home for the next two weeks, if we have to go our we need to fill in an 'Attestation' for each trip we make away from home. Even if is only to a local shop a few kilometres away. Failing to do so can evoke a fine of 130 euros.

So it do jobs around the fields, and help our neighbours in our little commune.

And now its stopped raining start and get the garden planted with the new seasons crops.

And a little hobbying, the post office seems to still be functioning so can order stuff for delivery by mail order.

Smoking gun

• Supporter 2020
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »

This is all based on my intricate knowledge of 1970-72 Vauxhall Vivas. Pretty impressive I think. ???

martin

My first car was a '74 Viva HC, it was so bad that I could drive (or more usually push) the car into my Dad's garage and have the bonnet off and engine out in 45 mins as I'd done it so many times. It cost me nearly two months pay to buy it and probably the same to keep it running for a year, it was only 6 years old. I learnt a lot about car mechanics which has stood me in good stead over the past years.

My current, 16 year old, Toyota cost me a months pay 4 years ago and has failed one MOT (brake pads) in that time and had a new starter motor, and some tyres in the time I've owned it.

Regards,

Martin Buck

Big Mike

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2020, 08:37:55 PM »
I learnt to drive in a Vauxhall Viva in 1970. Short coggy gear stick, engine whined like a stuck pig when I practiced my hill-start. The sporty version was called the SL90 (and why not). As the older members of society start re-taking their driving test (assuming any of us survive COVID19) I would like to find a late 60s example of this exceptional car to use. I am sure the proud owner of this classic car would be delighted to loan it.
On the current topic of closure of venues, Entoyment, the wargames centre in Poole appears to be open for business.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2020, 09:23:03 PM »
The Viva is a legend. Not sought after by the rich though. A people's car? Good boot space.
Mine was a light blue colour with chrome handles.
Got stopped by the police whilst standing with it.
Police thought I looked suspicious.
Probably because the Viva is a gangster car? :)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2020, 09:23:59 PM »
Or perhaps just because you looked like a gangster?

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »
I doubt my dad would have had a Viva if it was a gangster car.

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2020, 12:10:43 AM »
Well it's official: https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/ukge-2020-update/

Salute is postponed till next year - aka cancelled to the man on the street.