Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Salute and COVID 19  (Read 1147 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Salute and COVID 19
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 08:49:59 PM »
An event in Amsterdam in two weekends time has been postponed until later in the year. The government has closed the venue.

No club meetings around here too. Government has closed all the venues, just able to play at home. All the museums are closed for at least two weeks.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »
Surely a notice from Salute can't be far away now. The latest press conference has put the question beyond doubt. So what now to do?

Well, play games and spend the money you were due to spend on the day, online. 

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2020, 07:56:12 PM »
play games and spend the money you were due to spend on the day, online.

Spot-on, Sean.

Of course, we can't all get together to play for a while, since we need to adhere to social distancing guidelines.

So, what we probably need is a solo version of some of our favourite games to play in our self-isolation wards. Maybe a World War 2 theme, for a start? Maybe playing against a programmed enemy...? Wait - is RFCM yet again ahead of the rest of the world's gaming community?!

Simon

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 08:11:16 PM »
Agree Simon, play test the new Enemy PBI.
My Pet/house sitting has cancelled for April as there hotels are more or less empty and flights have cancelled.
So I will be staying at home re-organising my PBI factions

Stewart

pbeccas

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 09:41:38 PM »
Paint all the Minis are going to be doing an online convention through the Discord app.  So far 20 manufacturers have signed up.  Itís going to run for 48hrs.  If you have never used Discord before, itís pretty good and really easy to use.  Each manufacturer will have their own room in which they can do live game demos, or talk live with their fans.  Or leave vids to watch.  There will be a online show bag with manufacturer discount codes, free PDFs etc.  Looks really good.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:55 PM »
Paint all the Minis are going to be doing an online convention through the Discord app.  So far 20 manufacturers have signed up.  Itís going to run for 48hrs.  If you have never used Discord before, itís pretty good and really easy to use.  Each manufacturer will have their own room in which they can do live game demos, or talk live with their fans.  Or leave vids to watch.  There will be a online show bag with manufacturer discount codes, free PDFs etc.  Looks really good.

That sounds like an excellent idea!

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 10:44:37 PM »

That sounds like an excellent idea!

An excellent idea

John Watson

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 11:10:35 PM »
If I have got to stay in for the foreseeable future I can paint my lead mountain, but will the virus last for another twenty years. I sincerely hope not.
John

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »
I think the big worry facing us all is: can the PP workshop keep up with the pent-up demand from all those folk forced to self-isolate and/or work from home? Are we going to see the elves at the end of the garden working double-shifts? Will the supply chain keep up?

This could be a new golden era for high-quality 15mm products?

Maybe we need a new section for "what I've done while I've been hiding from the virus"?

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
Donít forget to wash your hands after picking up and opening those parcels.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 10:40:13 AM »
Donít forget to wash your hands after picking up and opening those parcels.

It's OK - I'll lick the lead figures, which should kill any remaining bugs. Or maybe just kill me - who knows?

mellis1644

• Wild Boar
  • The Frozen North- https://mellis1644.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
The biggest convention here in Ontario (due this weekend) got cancelled as have all shows/concerts and public spaces etc. Libraries are all closed etc and the kids break has been extended from now to the first week in April. Shops are still open (in theory) but most people are working from home and retail hours are being reduced as fewer people are shopping, other than for the mad rush for stupid provisions. It's not a shutdown but it will have a huge impact IMO. Social distancing they are calling it.

We are not allowing 'Johnny foreigner' to bring nasty bugs into the country by denying them entry - the people not the virus (if only it were that easy).

If I were a betting man (I'm not) then I would say that Salute and many other shows will be cancelled.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 01:18:09 PM »
I am getting Nigel and Mike to self isolate by staying in the workshop. Family visits must stay at 12 yards distance.  We are doing important work for the nation.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
My thoughts are that Salute are waiting for the Government to announce  some sort of legislation. This would allow the Warlord club to use an insurance (if they have one?).
If this happens it may cost the government a lot in some way.
Therefore government will leave it as "advice".
Ergo salute will not be cancelled but may die a death of non attendance.
If they will not return stand fees ( which I expect them to try- force majeur) then there will be a lot of anger etc..

This is all based on my intricate knowledge of 1970-72 Vauxhall Vivas. Pretty impressive I think. ???

Anyway , we can use the thousands of square feet available  to display our pirate land arid game and trade stand to best effect.

martin

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 01:51:55 PM »
Using the current advice ExCel/Salute should cancel if they follow the advice; but if they cancel it's a voluntary decision so ExCel/Salute/traders lose out financially. If they keep it 'on' they get castigated for not being in the public interest. If HM Government officially ban gatherings then insurance policies kick in. At the moment I can see a lot of small businesses taking big financial hits, which (for our hobby, as well as many others) could be catastrophic for many.

My dad had an L reg Vauxhall Viva. It was silver. Only it couldn't be called silver as they couldn't do metallic colours or something (this could be one of the made-up-things my dad spouted as gospel)