Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Salute and COVID 19  (Read 1149 times)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
Salute and COVID 19
« on: March 13, 2020, 08:00:56 AM »
One of the largest gaming conventions in the US, Adepticon has cancelled. There are huge implications for travellers who have paid for flights andaccommodation, for traders relying on the income, the venue and the potential future of the show itself.

With the news from yesterday, Salute is still going ahead. However, the government have warned that the advice is likely to change. Schools and large gatherings aren't cancelled as yet to prevent public fatigue over more stringent measures.

Even if it does go ahead, one has to imagine attendance will be affected. Typically Excel is crammed with people not only attending Salute but other events in the other convention halls. Excel may yet take matters into their hands.

I appreciate this is a glass half empty post, but COVID19 is being branded as the worst public health emergency of our generation. It is not just flu because no one has immunity. It isn't about whether those of us who are relatively healthy are going to suffer more than nasty cold like symptoms. It's the transmission of the virus to those more vulnerable.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Salute and COVID 19
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 08:13:25 AM »
Chinese flu
My uninformed   8) thoughts are

1. Folk who are a bit unwell will probably not risk going
B. Most gamers are up for it, especially those that have made games just for the show.
iii). Quite a few traders need the big surge in income.
7. The only "get out" for the salute warlords is if the government stop the event by legislating. Then the warlords can get their money back and hence traders get it back too.
x . Maybe the show will just be quieter and the crest of the Chinese flu will have passed.  It is 5 more weeks away.
L. We need to pay more attention to social media where the "experts"  are. 8)

martin

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »
Well, we're now officially in the "Delay" phase...

The Trump Administration announcement this week banning many EU nationals seems to have set lots of hares running around the world. A colleague was literally boarding a flight to Dubrovnik this morning when the Croatian government announced that all foreign nationals would be quarantined for 14 days on arrival...

Obviously we'd hope that calm heads prevail over here, but measures are moving very quickly (I think I heard that Scotland has banned gatherings of more than 500?).

As an equally uninformed observer, I suspect that we may soon see a lot less (physical) social interaction in the UK.

Simon

pbeccas

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:55:15 AM »
Today Australia banned events with 500 or more people in attendance.  The F1 was set to go and they did not open the gates.  People were waiting in line out the front.  Another interesting thing is the virus can live on paper money for about 10 days.  Wear gloves Martin.  And Australia is about to run out of test kits so they are saying if you are sick, stay home, donít go to the doctor.  If you struggle to breath.  Call an ambulance.  And the bloody school kids are getting to stay home.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »
And the bloody school kids are getting to stay home.

When we get to that stage in the UK, we know we're at crisis point  :(

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »
Being British, when itís a crisis, I will plant some potatoes and have a cup of tea.

Stewart

Antioch

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »
Things moving very fast across the pond here... expect a possible Canadian travel ban as early as today. Our PM now undergoing personal isolation as his wife has come down with it. Many Provinces following the lead in some of the US states...banning gatherings over 250 people.

And... it seems during a huge mining convention here there were active cases & health officals are scrambling to track many many down.  Most of yesterdays news...  Today, who knows.

Bob

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »
I have been looking at the map of the virus spread on the BBC website - it looks as if Dorset has so far been spared any known cases.

We now know that toothpaste enhanced with silver doesn't actually stop the disease, but maybe lead has a beneficial effect...?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
There is a post on TMP from a trader saying that they WONT get their money back if the show is cancelled due to Excel or the government making the decision. Very harsh it seems.

I wasn't planning on going anyway but feel for those who are uncertain of whether they will benefit from the income it generates.

I have decided to place a Salute order anyway...the £100  I would spend on getting there and back will go towards my RCW which will hopefully mitigate any loss of earning should the worse happen!

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 03:07:10 PM »
There is a post on TMP from a trader saying that they WONT get their money back if the show is cancelled due to Excel or the government making the decision.

As per Martin's post on TMP, the legality of that would appear questionable - traders pay for a service (the show) that the provider (Warlords) fail to deliver.

Sound more like traders have a case for breach of contract if anything?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 03:10:27 PM »
I saw that too Sean
Methinks that is illegal.
Something along the lines of "non supply of contracted services"?
Although the law is not always justice.

Luckily only 499 people are attending salute. Mr 500 will not be allowed in ???

martin

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 03:14:25 PM »
Simon
Wait a week or two and you will see that the Chinese flu avoids PPHQ due to the resin fumes and lead shielding.  "All safe out here".
I am able to offer a "games day" here at PPHQ if RFCM members want to pop down? Free of charge too.

That is a serious offer if salute is cancelled or moved to North Korea (too far for our van).

martin

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »
Sounds great - Julie selling tea and buns from the back door, while Nigel casts to order?

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 12:35:52 AM »
Now that sounds great Martin!

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 12:37:03 AM »
News is saying BJ is doing a U turn and large gatherings swill be prohibited from this weekend.