Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old West Wagons and such  (Read 409 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Old West Wagons and such
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »
Martin,

I think most of us who have been on the Forum for a little while understand the constraints within which you work, and do appreciate the odd surprise you throw in too. The suspense of what might be next is fun, and keeps folk perusing the PP website. After all, it's not exactly as if there's not much there already to buy, is it?!

I say: please keep doing what you're doing.

If it's any consolation:
 - I have bought both the 14th Army and French Motorised forces, and I do intend to actually paint both up one day  ;)
 - you probably sculpt faster than I paint...

Simon

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 08:13:21 PM »
I have a French motorised faction for PBI and I am now waiting for additional German paras for Crete game in September

Stewart

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 08:59:25 PM »
I have a French motorised faction for PBI and I am now waiting for additional German paras for Crete game in September

Oh dear - you said the F-word...  :(

And I too am awaiting planeloads of German early war paras - they'll sell by the bucket-load!

Simon

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 09:21:20 PM »
Martin, I don’t think your reply came over as ‘petulant’ at all. I’ve always been amazed how much stuff you’ve managed to add to the ranges over the years, especially given the need for constant ‘housekeeping/upgrading’ of established lines as moulds wear out.

And you’ve got to focus on stuff that’s i)consistent with existing ranges ii)commercially viable both short and long term iii) interesting and enjoyable for you to sculpt.

That’s why I’ve never had a problem finding bits and pieces from other manufacturers to supplement the PP range sometimes (rather than the other way around), especially where equipment, the aforementioned stagecoach etc is concerned. My 1885 Sudan collection has Egyptian Regular Cavalry, Bengal Cavalry and Cuirassiers from Minifigs, for example and they fight (almost) as well as the PP figures. I also had some Minifigs highlanders originally but they were rapidly retired and sold on as soon as you released a couple of appropriate packs.

So, I’ll never nag you for some of the “nice to have but...” figures that don’t pass test 2 above. I have no idea (and won’t ask) how many packs you need to sell to turn a small profit, and my opinion on what is a ‘popular’ period is going to be coloured by my personal preferences - Vietnam doesn’t appeal to me for example, but I guess the sales figures encourage you to continue expanding/updating the range as you have done.

Nor will I now continue to nag you for ‘fazands of Zulus, as that gap in the market is now covered by Blue Moon/Old Glory 15s/Khurasan. I do think there’s an opportunity for WW1 East Africa/Arab Revolt, where only a limited number of packs might be needed to do the period justice, and the same applies to the Mexican Revolution (maybe the easiest to do, and complimentary to existing rules/ranges) but I appreciate all of these might be considered niche/sideshow wars.

For 40-odd years, I’ve always played WW2 in 20mm, but a mate wants to play 1940 East Africa in 15’s so I’ve just bought enough PP packs (with some spare Indian heads) to put together a couple of Imperial platoons (we use ‘Chain of Command’ for platoon actions), and now you’ve got me looking at 14th Army stuff, dammit!

As you asked, I’d wonder whether having so many ACW general packs (with only 1 unique figure of 3) was worthwhile - I suspect you’d sell far more were you to sell them in packs of 4 different generals. I can see the sense of German LMGs if not already covered or in need of updating but not so sure about figures in foxholes? Like most of my circle, we make them ourselves, scratchbuilding or buying resin trenches and cutting suitable figures in half as required - you can spoon-feed people too much!

That’s my 2 cents, interesting discussion and thanks for all your hard work that helped revive my interest in gaming - and no offence taken when/if you ‘ignore’ my eminently sensible suggestions for range extensions!

Now, about those Arabs...

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 08:50:50 AM »
Nag/nudge/suggest as much as you wish. Not  a problem. I welcome it and am not upset by it.
Just be a "grown up" if your wishes do not always get done.
If you get angry or upset it "colours" the water of discussion here. That is a bad thing.

martin