Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mexican Revolution (again)  (Read 1065 times)

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Mexican Revolution (again)
« on: March 02, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »
I was going to add this to the previous thread but the system suggested starting a new one.

As any good gamer getting into a new period...you work hard to grab your gaming buddies & bring them along for the ride & corrupt them....er entice them.  Still painting my Bolsheviks....and showing the square bashing rules around. Now a good friend was amused & interested in the mexican revolution period (1910-1920).

So I was reading the boards about the previous threads on this period....and desire for figures from board members goes back quite some time...  Yes I looked at the Western range & while you can do head swaps but there aren’t any mexicans with modern rifles etc and no US figures with the period hats. Now i know you can modify, possibly even find other mfg’s but convincing someone to start out by doing a pile of conversions, maybe not the greatest selling point.

So Martin please consider this another request among what I am sure is a large pile of ...please can you/will you. 
Of course, if bribes work ..... :D

Now getting off my soap box...we return you back to your regular posts..

Bob

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Revolution (again)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 05:51:36 PM »
I have books here and the "Wild Bunch" on the way :)

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 01:45:21 PM »
Adding my encouragement to make this happen - certainly wouldn’t need 36 packs to adequately cover the key types and many might be adaptable from existing sculpts - 1914 British Infantry would be a pretty good match to regular infantry were it not for the backpacks, existing cowboys with headswaps for Irregular Cavalry etc (I just can’t face doing them one by one using the sombrero head pack!)

Nick

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
If it ever did happen, I'd buy armies to use with Square Bashing.

Nick

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 07:48:10 AM »
Mike Blake has produced a book about the uniforms of the Mexican Revolution. It does costs £40 + however.  He has also promised a "wargamers guide" on the revolution too.

Hope it is OK to use the acronym  MR  for the Mexican Revolution, unless a better one is available?

MR might fit into SB and Western?  Thoughts?
None of this discussion is  a promise to make figures however

martin

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 08:56:57 AM »
That was my thinking; SB would be ideal for the scale of some of the actions and would look visually very impressive.

I’ve been very tempted by the Mike Blake book but can’t quite justify buying it right now, but the interwebthingy has lots of useful images

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 09:59:14 AM »
has anyone here bought the Mike Blake book?
If it is packed with good info then I will buy it.
By good info I mean
1. constituent parts of the forces. Number proportion and use.
2. Weapons in use
3.Artillery etc
4. What applies to what period of the MR. Many types were not constant throughout the MR.

martin

Nick

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
I only have the Osprey book on armies of the Mexican revolution

Nick

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »
A period about which I know positively nothing, but IF a range started with amendments for Square Bashing or Western then I would be in like a shot.

Camulogene

• Domestic Pig
  • "Let it be like yesterday..." (Ray Davies)
    • View Profile
    • Wargames rules and scenarios
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »
Hi

There is an excellent Osprey about the U.S. Campaign of 1916 against Pancho Villa (serie "Raid" n°29), with plenty pics, bird-eyes maps of the battles (Colombus, Carrizal), and drawings of battle scenes and uniforms by the always talented Peter Dennis:

https://ospreypublishing.com/the-hunt-for-pancho-villa-the-columbus-raid-and-pershing-s-punitive-expedition-1916-17

Pierre

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »
I haven’t bought the Mike Blake book but it is on my radar.

I haven’t bought the western rules either....though i think MR 1916 style would fit into square bashing but with some caveats (own SB but haven’t played yet). A very good friend who was born down there (but canadian) tells some great stories...but the jist is that  the Mexicans were always hard pressed  for equipment & supplies...not militarily trained...so they fought there way...when & only how it suited them.

How you deal with all of that I am not quite so sure as they also had large armies in the field. In some respects they operated  much like a guerilla army.

Jim

• Piglet
    • View Profile
    • Jim's Wargames Workbench
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 09:21:58 PM »
I would definately be interested in 15mm MR. There's a big hole in the market here as no one else has a range.

It's more Square Bashing than anything else, unless you could adapt the AK 47 system along the lines of the old variant. I can think of some pretty neat political flow charts for a start.

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 08:41:20 AM »
unless you could adapt the AK 47 system along the lines of the old variant. I can think of some pretty neat political flow charts for a start.

I've got a couple of the old AK47 political flow charts for "30-30 Carabina" but the link to the original page no longer works

I too would be interested in PP doing a MexRev range

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 08:50:19 PM »
Navy & Military Press do a reprint of the 1906 ‘handbook of the Mexican army’ produced by the War Office - lots of useful information on organisation , equipment etc - great value for money.

Antioch (Bob)

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 05:31:49 AM »
Just received my copy of the Blake book today...   Thought it was nicely done with some larger copies of the pictures.
Works nicely with the Osprey book on the revolution period which has more of the actual history & why there were so many differing groups.

Clothing & uniforms remind me a litle if the Chinese warlord period. Whatever they had, regardless what regulations changed or when.

Bob