Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guidance on half bases and casualties  (Read 61 times)

Brian Cameron

• Piglet
    • View Profile
Guidance on half bases and casualties
« on: December 01, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
Hi,
I've only played the old version of SQB and the new version uses half bases (as with Regiment of Foote).  I've looked through the topics and found suggestions that 24 casualty bases is about right.  Does that advice still find general agreement?  Allowing for some hits on artillery, etc and some units losing a whole base, does 12 half bases sound about right?

Brian

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Guidance on half bases and casualties
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
I as a rule have 1/2 base for each unit to allow all having casualties.
Dead, there is normally a max per square so this number x likely number of engagements would be enough as they are cleared after morale

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:02 AM »
I have also gone for preparing a half base for each unit. Not too bad as it just means painting an extra figure when I do a unit, i.e. 13 infantry instead of 12, 9 cavalry instead of 8.

SimonC

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
Casualty markers
I typically do 2 packs for casualties (16 figures). That is normally enough - unless you plan to play with loads of conscripts

24 should be safe

Half bases
1 per unit is best (and not that onerous)

In SB there isn't a limit on the number of markers casualties in a square, but the max you ever count is 4. There are some subtle differences between the two

Brian Cameron

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
Thanks gents, appreciated. Conscripts - given I'm thinking about the RCW Early Red army with its lareg number of reservist battalions I should perhaps go for the higher number  :)

One other question - in the events chart, a score of 10 provides the 'Black Train' and goes on to say "Add 7 to Barrage B'.  As I recall the old rules used barrages A to D.  I'd appreciate if someone could clarify what the new equivalent to B is?  Supression or Point are the only as they aren't capable of a rolling one.
Thanks,
Brian