Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building units for the Rocket Six C19th rules  (Read 112 times)

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Building units for the Rocket Six C19th rules
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
I have been working on these large base units for a couple of months now. The Confederate force is almost complete, only awaiting the finishing off of the command stand. Meanwhile I have started to make progress with the opposing Union force. Having already put together a tatty Union unit I decided to go for a somewhat nattier outfit next, in the form of the 11th Indiana Zouaves. They originally had a splendid grey uniform similar to the French Papal Zouaves, but at the end of 1861 this was changed for a much more practical (and less likely to attract friendly fire) blue uniform. However a zouave style jacket was retained so I needed to find a way to represent this, as, in general, the normal Union sky blue trousers were adopted. The solution was to use Confederate infantry with kepi, as these are depicted in short jackets (packs 81 and 88, plus Union zouave command 44). I let a small number of the men retain their red kepis out of unit pride, and gave the officer a head swap havelock.

Painting - all Vallejo unless stated:
White primer followed by black primer (Stynylrez)
Dark Prussian blue jacket and kepi and mix of bright sky blue and blue grey for trousers
Red for kepi and officer’s sash
Mix of bright sky blue and pale blue for jacket trim and some canteen covers, other covers khaki
Grey white for canteen strap
Black grey for leather straps, kepi peaks, shoes etc.
Flat brown for rifle stocks
Ironbreaker (Citadel) for barrels, sword blades
Auric Armour Gold (Citadel) for brass bits
Beige brown for flesh
Various colours for hair
Then each figure given a generous coat of black magic wash
I then used only two highlights
Beige red for flesh
Light Prussian blue for jackets and blue kepis
Yellow tan for bases
Finally a coat of satin varnish

For the large base - base the figures then apply Winsor and Newton Galeria modelling paste. When dry a coat of yellow tan; again when dry a generous wash of Seraphim Sepia (Citadel) and a final dry brush of beige. Base edge then painted with Earth (Miniature Paints) and finally static grass and tufts added.

PS flags from Warflag.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Building units for the Rocket Six C19th rules
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
Andy,
Many thanks for posting all that useful detail on your painting.
And the figures aren't turning out too bad either :)
Simon

Radar

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
Re: Building units for the Rocket Six C19th rules
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:16:28 AM »
Looking good Andy.

Thanks for your paint recipe. I wish more people would do the same. Ever so slightly annoying when you see beautifully painted figures exhibited on the web, you ask "great shade of blue, what is it?" only for your question to go unanswered.

Always been a fan of unpainted base edges (quite like the burnt mdf colour, provides a nice contrast), but may well experiment with MP earth edges. Thanks

Still tempted by those wiggly bases...