Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Camel Corps  (Read 340 times)

Brian Cameron

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Camel Corps
« on: October 29, 2019, 08:00:13 PM »
I've been pondering doing some forces for PITS as it looks an entertaining game.  Despite the extra cost, I fancy the classic (British) camel corps but I'm a bit confused about the base requirements when dismounted. 

Page 44 says that one dismounted base must be used as the camel holders but do I need other 'dismounted camel' bases, presumably on a one-for-one basis?

There's mention on page 10 of using the camels as cover when dismounted.  Is 'cover' in the Shooting section meant to inlude dismounted camels?

Brian

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Camel Corps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:20:58 PM »
Brian I don’t have my rules to hand but if I remember correctly, I have 3 ‘platoons’ of 6 bases, when they dismount then only 5 form a firing line and one is used as camel holder.
I do enjoy the game

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 09:50:36 PM »
Great spot Brian.
Am at present preparing my Camel Corp for the WW weekend.
Your assumptions are correct.
I have made mine veteran, so the force will be:-
Section 1 Veteran            
4 camel rifle bases         52
1 camel sergeant base      15
1 camel officer base          21

Section 2 Veteran            

Section 3 Veteran            

Scouts Average            
3 Scout bases             30
            294 points
So when they are dismounted I will only have 5 bases fighting and 1 base of camel holders. If they have dismounted in good order rather than in response to an attack, I was going to give them the benefits of being in cover for shooting and fighting. None of this is in the rules specifically for the Camel Corps though.

As you will see in another thread for PITS the history of the rules.

Brian Cameron

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
Thanks.  I'm wondering about doing some small bases with, say, one kneeling camel on each, to represent the dismounted camels and indicate whether they are providing cover.

I certainly agree that it should only apply if they have dismounted in good order and not if they are attacked by surprise.

Brian

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:10:12 PM »
Brian

You should be on the high seas still, surely?

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:09:02 AM »
Bad versions of ‘The Four Feathers’ notwithstanding, the last thing the Camel Corps would do is use their transport as cover like an improvised barricade. The only place for the camels would be in the centre of the square, as far from danger as possible - none of them wanted to risk having to get out of the desert on foot after an action!

Brian Cameron

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »
We're still enjoying life on the waves even without much success as merchant or pirate and occassionally come ashore to check out the taverns.  I can't help it if people keep producing interesting game systems, really nice figures and offer some tempting discounts.  What am I'm supposed to do - resist temptation and leave those nice chaps at PP to starve in the dark satanic (15) mill?  :)

Brian

Brian Cameron

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »
You've got a point (darnit!).  Those glorious paintings don't show camels, live or dead, around the squares.  I can only claim that I was lead astray by the authors of rules.  The defence rests (or, more acurately, collapses in a heap).

Brian

John in York

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
I've been reading 'Khartoum' by Michael Asher. He makes it clear that the camels were protected either by being at the centre of the square e.g. Abu Klea or when a square hadn't formed hobbled well to the rear. He does say though in one engagement that camel saddles were used to build a zariba. Is this way people were thinking?

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 07:55:02 PM »
Here's Hollywood's take on the camel corp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MuNeFPvWag