Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some Ottoman Turks there  (Read 114 times)

Lluis of Minairons

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
Some Ottoman Turks there
« on: November 02, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »
I'm building an XVIII cent. Ottoman Army for a projected campaign my gaming mates and I are preparing - dealing with the 1714-1718 Ottoman-Venetian War.
So, while "Acronim" forum user has devoted himself to enlarge our Mediterranean fleets (whose work results are shared here from time to time), I'm dedicating my hobby time to paint as many Ottomans as I can.

This year I'm enjoying an extremely narrow budget for hobby, so I must exprime myself and restrict purchases to actually unavoidable stuff, taking the most advantage from the 'lead mountain' many of us use to have, in almost forgotten shoe boxes.

So this is my first Ottoman horse unit, a Timarli Sipahi (provincial feudal cavalry) regiment.

As for what I believe to have learnt, it seems that Ottoman armies of that era gave high relevance to cavalry, that usually was present in large numbers at every battle fought by the Empire; not just Sultan's own Household troops (Kapikulu Sipahi) but especially provincial horse units, were these either a part of Eyalet governors' troops (Deli) or conscripted upon a feudal basis by a local lord (timariot). This unit of today would belong to this latter category.

Apparently, Ottoman cavalry units could be quite larger than their western equivalents, so I decided to build this one with up to 4 squadrons (each consisting of two 3x3cm stands with two troopers each), accordingly to my usual sizes pattern - historically based on "Beneath the Lily Banners" ruleset prescriptions, despite we're probably going to game the campaign using Sam Mustafa's "Maurice".

I've built this one regiment using mainly the figures from an Italian brand known as Legio Heroica - later completing its numbers with a few figures from Peter Pig's Range 19. There was some noticeable size difference between both brands respective figures - being the Legio Heroica ones on the tall side of 15mm, so larger than Martin's ones. So I've done my best to mask eventual discrepancies by applying there a few little visual tricks - such as replacing PP's original shields by LH's ones, so making figures appearance a bit more consistent; or replacing PP's original horses by larger others from my spares box (don't know what brands from); or even, in a few cases, adding 1mm height to the stands. I think ultimate result isn't that bad.

Thanks for watching,
Lluís

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Some Ottoman Turks there
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »
Excellent Lluis

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »
That all seems to have worked remarkably well.

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »
Very nice, Lluis!

Anatoli

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 05:59:22 PM »
Your figures are very well painted, high in colour and with many contrasts ...
I haven't noticed any size difference in watching your photos...
Superb work !!  ;)