Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The manliness of Wargaming?  (Read 123 times)

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
The manliness of Wargaming?
« on: October 03, 2019, 01:16:31 PM »
On another forum I came across a statement in relation to a fine piece of tabletop presentation, i.e. the gamer had submitted photographs of his latest wargame showing a tabletop that had been beautifully produced and obviously taken a lot of hard work and dedication. He had even included telegraph poles and sheep grazing in a field. What struck me as odd, especially in this day and age, was the statement from someone posting a response to these photographs - “Part of the joys of figure gaming is making everything look nice, which I know is not very manly......"

Westie

• Star Supporter
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
Re: The manliness of Wargaming?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »
A man with a slight issue about playing with toy soldiers (an issue I must confess I have been guilty of in the past). But, given that many gamers/collectors are ex (and current) military, I am sure we all agree, an issue that should not be seen as unmanly. For example, some wargamers and collectors, most of whom have made a significant contribution our hobby ....

Von Reiswitz - decorated Napoleonic Prussian army officer.
Donald Featherstone - WW2: Sgt. Royal Tank Regiment (Western Desert & Sicily)
Brigadier Peter Young - WW2: No.3 Commando, MC (Vaago raid) and bar (Sicily), DSO (Dieppe), author
Charles Grant - WW2: RAF; later Special Branch, author
Charles S. Grant - former British Army Brigadier, author
John "DZ” Drewienkiewicz - retired British Army Major-General
Charles Stadden - WW2: Sgt. Major Dunkirk, Middle East, Sicily, Italian campaigns
Phillip O. Stearns - former member of the OSS, model soldier collector and Penthouse photographer(!)

I'm sure the forumites can name many others.   ;D

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: The manliness of Wargaming?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
The "manliness" thing is a throwback to the 1970s and before?
Of the time when women should not really vote or drive automobiles. Of course such practices are still common in the more backward parts of the world (Iran, Saudi,Burma etc...).

It is still evident in gaming. Usually within self selecting groups with pompous titles . Probably in most other areas of life too (masons, ISIS, DUP candidates?).
Slowly things are moving forward (others might disagree that constitutes forward).

My opinion is that men whom are not confident will seek support by taking on a persona they think/hope will be popular.  Such as drinking lots of alcohol, wearing poor taste  slogans, behaving boorishly and using bad language. Usually comes in the form of mocking another male in order to create bonding.  Breaking wind is also manly I am told.  Just an opinion.

I avoid such groups if possible in gaming.
It is these groups that usually bring down the status of miniature gaming.

I feel that such behaviour can drive away considerate gamers and women in particular.