Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The real workhorse of the west (not Stagecoach)  (Read 111 times)

FifteensAway

• Piglet
    • View Profile
The real workhorse of the west (not Stagecoach)
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »
For those who don't know, the iconic Concord stagecoach - what most of us think of as the normal public conveyance - was not the primary means of public transport in the American West.  Much more common, at roughly 3:1, was the Mud Wagon, lighter and cheaper than the Concords which were heavy (why 6 horses so often) and very expensive to buy.  Mud wagons had far greater utility in the Old West, especially here in California - the Gold Rush up in the very hilly foothills needed such things.  And, yes, they did get robbed from time to time.  California is actually quite rich in Old West events.

On a different tack, there were also Tumble Weed wagons.  Eventually, I'm converting some wagons I have to such a conveyance.  I think I will buy in one of Crom's Anvil's Thrall wagons to assist in the process.  What the heck is a tumble weed wagon, for those who don't know?  It is a prison wagon for carrying prisoners - think Hang 'Em High, the Clint Eastwood movie.

As a side note, my maternal grandmother was reputed to have driven a six hitch for a time in her youth, born in 1896 if memory serves (that's six horses, as opposed to a team of two horses or a four-up which is, well, four horses).  Easy to forget that parts of the Old West spilled over in the first decade or two of the 1900s.

Oh, heck, while I'm at it, we have a ghost town called Bodie, pretty famous, and by far - for me - the most poignant element was the state of the undertakers shop: so very many of the coffins left behind were child sized, very telling of the times.  The town was left to deteriorate in place and is now a state park.  I wonder if we can get some child sized coffins or will I have to scratch build them.  Another scratch building project I'd like to avoid, converting a wagon into a horse drawn hearse.