Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BB60  (Read 97 times)

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
BB60
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
Les has gotten number 60 to me. Thanks Les.
Played Peter with it today.

I have decided to make my armies Lancastrian.
They seem to get the bad end of the wars. added to which I have visited Lancashire(I think),
Anyone else chosen a side?

Anyway, Pete and I had a great battle.

Pete's army (Welsh leaning) had  10 levy, 3 household (3!!!), 3 retinue and some guns.
Martin's army (Lancastrian)  had 3 cavalry units, 8 retinue, 2 levy, 1 household, some guns and hand gunners.

Welsh attacking and Lancastrian defending.
The Lancastrians laughed  :D as the welsh got their flanks mixed up.  The best and worst welsh wards swopped places and flanks. The powerful Welsh 2 household + retinue + general was swapped with the levy.

The game started with the Lancastrian right flank moving forward and smashing the unfortunate Welsh left flank of Levy.
The Lancastrian scored 10 hits. Lights out for the levy.

On the Lancastrian left wing the entire ward had moved off table due to stupidly. Thus the welsh right flank stomped across the table facing no opposition.

In the centre the Lancastrians advanced, killed another levy ward and set off into the distance. However bit by bit the Welsh hacked through the Lancastrian centre.

The game ended with 12 zones  owned by the Welsh and 4 by the Lancastrians.

The Lancastrian cavalry turned up en masse. Hit a levy ward and got slaughtered 10 hits to 2.  Two units of Lancastrian cavalry were instantly routed too. Disaster for martin's Lancastrians.

The Lancastrians  were slaughtered.

Notes
1. A ward of levy will get slaughtered due to bow effect. morale effect and fighting casualties. they need a good general to get the best from them.
2. Cavalry can be good or bad. But when they are bad they are very bad.
3. Handgunners   Ha!
4. Hold those hills.
5.Defender needs to move into his second row and hold there.

John Watson

• Star Supporter
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
Re: BB60
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 11:34:25 PM »
It's the Tudors for me. Mainly because John de Vere, Earl of Oxford is my hero. Won at Barnet (even if he was on the losing side), won at Bosworth and Stoke Field. Ok Edward IV was more successful.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »
Yes agree with most of your conclusions Martin.

Was it a scratch game or one of the campaigns?

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
It was a "standard" game.

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 08:42:18 AM »
Played Tewkesbury with the Bournemouth men.
In reality the battle was won by the Yorkists. Mainly because the Lancastrian centre under Wenlock refused to take part.

In our battle Wenlock went forward and passed every "unreliable" roll.
In addition the Lancastrians rolled very well in every fight.
Massive Lancastrian victory.  History was changed.

Artillery had a small effect, but still caused some casualties.
Generals fought in the "front rank" (extra D6) in almost every fight. A good historical trend.
Low on arrows haunted many wards. Good.
Hoysehold troops showed their worth by still being "better" when other units around them were suffering from losses.

I feel the rules are shaping up nicely.
One of the criteria is  that some players have now memorised the rules.  A real bonus.  Very rare in modern rule sets.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »
Barons 57 / 59 / 60
Played a couple of the scenario games, The Battle of Ludford Bridge and The Battle of Blore Heath.
We liked the fact that all the pregame stuff had been done and we just got the figures out, set up the terrain and off we went.
Ludford Bridge.
Who are the C in C's?
Special rules speak of reserves, not who's reserves.
This scenario has 'Defences', we used them as stakes. Either the ward had them or not. Once used they could not be used again if the ward using them had been driven off. They did not have to declare where they were until attacked. We used them as a fight effect and just counted them for a  -2 as other linear scenery.
Generals actions; there is a conflict between play sheet generals box, the turn sequence and the main rules.
The scenario does not state where the Yorkist reserves arrive, we used the road.
The game took 1.5 hours, it was a Yorkist disaster which was historically correct. It was not much of a game, but it did feel in period. We had two Lancastrian turns and three Yorkist turns. By then the Yorkist had nothing left.
The next game was Blore Heath.
We played this one twice. This was because the first game with the Yorkist player going first he just about wiped out the Lancastrians in the first turn with shooting, archers and artillery.
So the second game we played with the attacker going first and took 2D6+2 with reroll, off the countdown.  We treated defences as above which worked well. We played three Yorkist turns and two Lancastrian  turns. Again we ran out of figures but did a count up, it was a three point win to the Yorkist.
The cavalry is a bit odd, is general A's command all cavalry and where is the general deployed? Sir Thomas Parr just moved back off the first hill into the woods so completely negating the cavalry. But does he still get the 11 dice and can they deploy into another zone using the 11 dice?
For some odd reason we both really enjoyed these games regardless of the outcome and in some games the swift destruction of your army.
The scenarios probably need a bit more explanation about the scenery and how in each game it is used.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »
Oh and yes we both played all the games with the generals in the front rank as often there looked as though there would only be one fight each time.