Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paint colour systems  (Read 1922 times)

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Paint colour systems
« on: August 13, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »
How do you decide on the colour you will use for your next army.

Do you use the colours by name or do you seek out painting guides that have the colour make, name and number?

Do you look for real articles of equipment, clothes and vehicles for the colours and then turn the colour into your paint colour of choice?

Do you have a particular brand of paint that you use. Are all the colours equally useful or do you find some tints and hues disappointing, like yellows?

Martin Smith

• Supporter 2020
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Re: Paint colour systems
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 06:19:20 PM »
Most of my gaming til recently has been ancient and medieval, so ‘best guess’ colours were fine. Even my ECW colourings could be vague, what with washed out dyes, local suppliers and the like, and little certainty on actual colour of eg a ‘whitecoat’.
 Then started on some C19th stuff (colonial and ACW), and have had to both dive through uniform books and also seek others’ recommendations. eg best colours for khaki in 1898/2nd Boer War, ACW Union jacket and trouser colourings. Finding the blue that ‘looks’ right for Union foot was difficult, as was the (varied) trouser colours. I’m more confident painting a horse than a jacket, eg.
I usually use generic craft paints, but resorted to Vallejo for some more accurate colours.
[don’t usually go find actual items, as much in museums has been subjected to fading, so no longer truly representative].

How do you approach it, Leslie?

SimonC

• RFCM admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
Does anyone find the paints first then the army to match ? I do this quite frequently everything I do at the moment is red and/or blue

Alex M

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »
I use uniform books and google images , especially useful for more modern items cheers Alex

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:54:07 PM »
I don’t use painting guides, just reference books with a general description of uniforms.
After a wash is put on my figures they look like veterans after a few months on campaign.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »
Interesting topic, Les.

I look for references - photos of the real thing, images in books, others' models.

And then I see whether I can find recommendations for paint colours to match. I am wary of the names on the paint bottles. I find some colours that folk use rather strange, so apply a degree of my own judgement too (albeit I am not claiming to be right - it's just what makes me happy).

I use almost exclusively Vallejo and Coat d'Arms paints.

Simon

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 11:16:15 PM »
For anything pre Napoleonic I am not particular about the shade as mentioned by others dyes were inconsistent or there were no uniforms. Post Napoleonic I try to get realistic colours but find a wash disguises most things anyway.
The biggest problem I have had is with the colour Khaki. Which shade is correct? I use all sorts of paint manufacturers so the choice of khaki is varied. None of them produce a uniform colour. Some khakis are more brown, others more green etc. As a result of this problem it took me about 2 years to find the "right" khaki for my late WW1 British, which are now at last on the painting table.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:43:22 AM »
So, what's the magic answer for WW1 British Khaki then, John?  :)

John Watson

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »
Wish you hadn't asked. The truth is that I don't know. I had this pot of paint that was just the right shade, but the lid had set solid, so I forced it open and decanted the paint into an unmarked container, but I did not record what the paint was before I threw out the old pot. It may have been Vallejo or whatever it is called. It is on the very brownest end of the khaki spectrum.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
That's very funny, John!

I used Vallejo English Uniform for my late WW1 Brits, and was happy with that. It's very much a brown (I've since been using it for woodwork on rifles, as it's a very easy paint to apply).

If I ever do early war Brits, I think I'd be tempted to go for a greener shade, if nothing else just to be different! I played against a rather "green" (albeit Veteran, of course) early war army at the last Square Bashing day, and very nice it looked too.

Leman

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
I found two Vallejo colours that work great for the 1914 BEF. Green Brown on its own is ideal for the officer’s uniform (alternatively buff breeches also look good). Green Ochre mixed with Green Brown also makes a very good colour for the other ranks. I discussed the paints I used in the Eye Candy posts.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »
I must confess to having favourite paints. i use these whenever possible.
First there is the vallejo "flesh" I like that. A nice flow and does not set too quickly.
Second trail tan. A nice light colour for bags, trousers and light things.
Third Grass green (very bright) for bases if I do them. Dave painter does more subtle colours and textures than I.
Fourth brown dark bear. Undercoats, hair, face base, horses ad anything else that sticks out.
Fifth  Humbrol enamel silver. Superbly shiny.

Over this some Winsdor and Newton Ink (Sienna).
 i always have to undercoat flesh for yellow and red if I want a bold colour.

I have a lot of paint pots that need reviewing as they must have gone hard years ago.
Used to love the authenticlour Humbrols. Especially brown bess and British scarlet.

I always use sable brushes, but note that the local hobby chaps don't use them at all. What is the world coming to? I love 1976! :)

SimonC

• RFCM admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 06:51:59 PM »
What is the world coming to? I love 1976!

::) four day weeks, strikes and heat wave?

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »
Lovely

Radar

• Supporter 2020
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:37 PM »
I now have an ECW colour palette (courtesy of a Sealed Knot living history lady at Cropredy 375).