Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paint colour systems  (Read 540 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: Paint colour systems
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 08:32:53 AM »
That's really useful, Radar - thanks for posting!

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
I must confess to having favourite paints. i use these whenever possible.

I have a few favourites that both cover and flow well, top of which is probably Vallejo Russian Uniform WW!! (70924)- a very versatile colour.

Radar

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 09:05:02 AM »
That's really useful, Radar - thanks for posting!

Glad it is of use. More of my research on colour palettes https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2018/06/what-colours-to-use.html?m=1

Radar

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »
I must confess to having favourite paints. i use these whenever possible.

I have a few favourites that both cover and flow well, top of which is probably Vallejo Russian Uniform WW!! (70924)- a very versatile colour.

Got some favourite colours too Humbrol dark earth, CdA Russian brown,  Foundry madder red, wine stain and their blue I use for blew bonnets

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 04:24:48 AM »
Martin, Sable brushes.
‘Premier Brushes’ are still going, they are online these days. From West London and I find very reasonable prices too. Very good website, and usually a quick turn around on orders as well.
Colours. Humbrol 83 Orche very good colour and it is in their Arcylic range, good old Vallejo Russian uniform Green, Miniature Paints British Uniform. To name a few.
Miles

John Watson

• Star Supporter
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
On sable brushes, in my opinion, without doubt etc etc the very best are AS Handover. I have used them for over 30 years. They are available on line from the company website. They are very good value for money. They have a good range of different brush types. They go on forever if you look after them. I have one or two that are at least 20 years old and I still use them. Their postal service is quick too.

Don't take my word for it try them. I don't think you will be disappointed.

They are the Peter Pig of the sable brush world.

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »
Thanks a lot for that information. Having trouble getting hold of above average brushes at the moment.

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 03:43:48 PM »
Call me thick, but I could not navigate my way around the Handover site. I couldn’t seem to find a sable hair pointed paintbrush suitable for wargames figures, although there seemed to be loads that were chisel tipped. What should I actually be looking for on that site?

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
Call me thick, but I could not navigate my way around the Handover site. I couldn’t seem to find a sable hair pointed paintbrush suitable for wargames figures, although there seemed to be loads that were chisel tipped. What should I actually be looking for on that site?

Wow - not the easiest site to navigate, and so much stuff there!

Try this:

https://www.handover.co.uk/search/?fq%5Bx_hairtype2%5D=Pointed&fq%5Bmanufacturer%5D=Handover&q=sable

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 08:43:08 PM »
Having spent this afternoon visiting a Normandy 'D Day' museum and looking at all the uniforms and equipment on display here's my take.
German equipment is all the colours going their were ammo boxes in every shade from an ochre yellow to black.
Leather kit again from a tan all the way through to black.

Having looked at the uniforms the difference is really the cut and overall style impression. The colours of the US and German uniforms all are of the same range of tints and tones of browns and greens.

Standing back and looking at the figures the difference is the weapons and helmets.

It was also interesting to see how the different armies were equipped, the germans were on foot, on bikes, used a lot of horses and very few engined transport. Often the transport was captured French vehicles.
The US was also on foot but then had a lot of trucks of various sizes.

Some of the museum dealt with the early part of the war, the French had some very good kit but could not cope with the type of war being fought by germany.

So the colours for the uniforms I think we are to precious about the label on the paint pot, perhaps GW have it right using very abstract names that have no reference to WW2.

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 09:44:06 PM »
I have a stack of sable brushes.
My favourite are the big broad ones for dry brushing. I use the Windsor and Newton miniatures brushes.   I don't use non sable but that is just  my prejudice. 

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 06:46:21 AM »
Having looked at the uniforms the difference is really the cut and overall style impression. The colours of the US and German uniforms all are of the same range of tints and tones of browns and greens.

That is interesting, Les. I've sometimes wondered whether one could do French, German, US and Russian all in Russian Uniform Green!

Which museum were you at - it sounds like quite a big one?

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 06:49:32 AM »
I don't use non sable but that is just  my prejudice.

I think that's a very good prejudice to hold :)

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »
I have found in the past that man-made brush hairs tend to permanently bend at the tip after only a couple of painting sessions.

John Watson

• Star Supporter
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 09:29:56 AM »
That is very interesting Les and might support the story I read recently about the Americans in Normandy. Apparently they started issuing camouflage uniforms to the ordinary GI's at one point during the Normandy campaign but had to withdraw them within days as there were so many cases of friendly fire due to the soldiers not being able to distinguish between German troops and GIs with camo.