Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: bloody barons play day  (Read 188 times)

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
bloody barons play day
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »
Hello All
Bloody barons play day 2019.
I am finding out who wishes to be there on 17th August.

We had a good day doing the pirates.

If you are coming would you please let me know ASAP so  I can book tables etc.

John Watson

• Star Supporter
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
Re: bloody barons play day
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »
I would love to attend but my sister has decided to celebrate her birthday with a party that day. I tried to tell what a great time she would have at Entoyment but she was not buying it.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:53 AM »
I would love to come too, but equally have long-standing family commitments that day too. Sorry!

DorchesterBede

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
Martin

I can make it Saturday and can bring some troops etc if required.

Chris

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
Good news Chris. Rob is coming along for a while too.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:26:47 PM »
Wont be able to make it.

Hope Martin does not do too well or too badly or we'll be in for another rewrite.

Check out the largest army (cheap pointed army) against the smallest army ( high value pointed army).  In our play testing we have found that the cheap army is difficult to beat.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
I am hopeful of making it this time around. Now missed the Western and Pirates now.
Miles

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:22:02 PM »
OK Les

Then we need to analyse why this happens.
Firstly does it come out different whether the better/smaller army is defending or attacking?

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
often when the smaller army defends. If it is then defensive, i.e does not advance much from the base edge it usually just runs out of bases.
The attacker with the larger number of bases is just able to absorb the casualties and keep pressing the defender.
We have found that the attacker has a bit more room for poor dice where as the defender only needs only a poor dice roll and then he is struggling to recover.
The attacker is able to fill his deployment zones.  The defender has to be careful to place his units and hopes he is not too badly depleted in his starting loses.

Stewart 46A

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:49:12 PM »
Les I have found an attacking poor army (lots of levy) takes casualty’s from shooting and stops on morale so runs out of time.

Smiley Miley 66

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 06:26:33 AM »
I cannot make today. Sorry. I will get my Family problem sorted....
Miles

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 01:17:12 PM »
Are the armies too big in terms of the number of figures needed for the game. One of the reasons for the rewrite was to require fewer figures. This is in for cost and painting times.

DorchesterBede

• Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
Well I had agood day at Entoyment playing two games of BB.

In the first game I tried out the small army maximising the number of household units and having three cavalry. I had also painted up the Edward IV figure Martin had made me so was looking forward to deploying him. Unfortunately I was out foxed by Martin and ended up defending and having set up lost three (out of ten) on table units leaving a rather thin line of troops on the field (on the plus side I managed to upgrade two retained units to household). In an attempt to buy some time I brought on the cavalry who picked up Edward IV and charged some vulnerable looking units - the  result was a disaster with Martin dice throwing emulating Stewart and Edward IV meeting his death. This pretty much set up the whole game and with 11 points remaining on the countdown we called an end as I only occupied two areas with two battered units and a full Levy unit,  I had managed to loss four commanders including Edward IV twice! Martin failed to get his cavalry on.

The second game saw two more evenly matched armies (in size) face off each other. Martin had cavalry but no guns, I went for a gun and no cavalry. This was a game that went to the wire. Martin attempted an early cavalry charge which was repelled with a number of cavalry casualties, however when the same depleted cavalry units charged the same group of elated troops they trampled them - what goes around comes around. The game ended in a technical draw (I'll claim the win on the grounds I did not lose) we had both lost our commander in chief (Edward IV killed for a third time!).

Overall the rules seem to be coming along well and games are playing out in about two hours. In both games the defender failed to win, in the second the defender had three hill in his second row making a good defensive position however my gun managed to shoot off two levy units from one wing whilst I managed another upgrade of two retained units to household on my left and pushed through there.

Thanks Martin for a couple of good games and run through the rules. It was good to see so many youngster (male and female) playing games around us, although these were fantasy games it does indicate a healthy interest in the social side of gaming and bodes well for the future of gaming. Nothing wrong with computer games however I think this type of gaming is far more social.

Off to melt down Edward IV............

Chris

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »
Sounds like you had a great day out playing BB.
Your game when the way of our last plat test games. The defender just runs out of bases part way through the game.

Leslie BT

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
So apart from melting down Edward IV what other conclusions can be drawn from the BB playday?

I hope that Rob came along and enjoyed his time with everyone.