Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Basing  (Read 193 times)

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Basing
« on: July 09, 2019, 03:44:26 PM »
There are many great techniques and materials for the modern day wargamer.
These include tufts and pre-cast resin sabots.
The quality of the basing can represent about 37% of the visual satisfaction (?)
If the bases are too busy then the clarity of what the figures are can be lost (?)

Here is a short opinion pice about the basing method I use.
Being old I will probably never update my methods.  Inertia.  I am still open to new ideas though.
I have used this method for 50 years  :-[

I use PP plastic bases.
Cut the four corners off.
Rub the base with very rough sand paper to "key in" the base.
First I clean up the figure base with a knife to remove any remaining metal feeds.
Then stick the figures to the base using super glue because it is quick setting.
Give figures another varnish.

Tetrion is a flexible filler. If you water it down (a bit like homeopathy) it still works.
I use it for basing so that it acts as a glue and blends the figure base into the larger base.
I then often push in a  short piece of sisal (rough) string. Additionally pieces of pencil eraser to be rocks.
Then sprinkle with  sifted builders sand.

Paint base in grass green. Dry-brush in yellow.

Then touch up figures with Humbrol metal enamels for swords and blades. These enamel metallics are really nice and last for many years.

Can you give your method?  Then we can mix and match each other's ideas.

Alex918

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Re: Basing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
Same technique for securing figures followed by PVA watered down onto the base then a dip into a tub of Bird grit. Extra PVA and subsequent dips/sprinkles if required. A watered down tan brown soaks onto the grit, followed by a dry brush of light sand colour to highlight.

Interested in why people clip corners on bases as I never manage to get even clips on the edges.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:14:59 PM »
I clip without precision. I just like the look of the clipped version :)

Radar

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:21:53 AM »
My current basing method:
superglue figures to base, base covered with GW Stirland mud (all in one basing colour and texture), washed with a chestnut ink, then greenery added - flock, some tufts, possibly some flowers. Occasionally a cork chip boulder.

I've gone back to the GW texture paint because I'm lazy. Yes it is pricey, I can make it cheaper myself (paint, grit and an artist texture medium) but my home-brewed recipe was providing wildly inconsistent  colours despite carefully measuring everything out.

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:42:28 AM »
I have changed basing styles so many times...from a simple mix of flock, grit and static grass all mixed up in a tub and stuck  on with PVA, to sand, painted brown dry brushed and then static grass added.

Colonel Kilgore

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
I've tried various approaches over the years.

Currently I:
 - "rough up" the PP plastic bases with sandpaper
 - wash them to get rid of dust
 - prime white
 - paint and varnish the underside (!) and edges
 - stick steel paper onto the central portion of the underside
 - stick figures to base
 - use either Vallejo texture paint (thanks Leman for that tip) or carefully work slightly-thinned PVA glue around the bases with a cocktail stick, and then sprinkle on sand
 - use a watered-down light brown paint (gets sucked into the sand by capillary action)
 - dry-brush with a lighter colour
 - lightly brush with Army Painter dip
 - matt varnish
 - apply static grass (currently, 3 different shades of green) to PVA glue bobs using an old paint bottle as a "puffer" (and, if I'm feeling clever, also connect my flockbox to the base to charge it with some static electricity and help the grass stand on end)

I particularly like the texture paint as I find that sprinkling sand can get caught in nooks and crannies of finished figures, which rather ruins the effect.

I am conscious that I might be rather over-thinking all of this, but I like the result  :D

P.S. welcome back, Sean!

Leman

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
Superglue completed figure to base. Use either W&N modelling paste (smooth) or Vallejo pumice base (rough). Dip in sand/grit mix, but not the whole base. May also add small patches of larger grit at this stage for rocks. Paint entire base in yellow ochre. Wash base with GW Seraphim Sepia. Damp brush with GW Ushabti Bone. Add patches of static grass and the occasional grass tuft or bush from WS foliage.

Martin Smith

• Supporter 2019
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
Uhu glue figs to base, then a process copied from a Slingshot contributor 10-15 years ago-
Non-waterproof Tetrion over the base, a few sprinkled patches of chinchilla dust fine sand, a few cat litter (unused....😊)  rocks, wipe the base edges clean with damp cloth, and dry overnight.
Then a very thin, watery wash of acrylic paint over the whole base (settles in groove/dips, leaving natural highlight), followed by odd patches of static grass and/or tufts. Two colour schemes- sandy, using watered down ‘honeycomb’ paint, for arid regions, or darker soil, using watered down ‘raw umber’ paint for temperate zones.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
Some of the contents and bits for our basing would make good Harry Potter recipes for non- wargamers.  Although I might add "eye of newt" to vehicle basing.

Radar

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:44:09 PM »
Must confess to kicking myself for not collecting some grit/soil from Sulby Hedges (Naseby) for added authenticity basing my last batch of dragoons.

Shame it isn't a short drive away...

Leslie BT

• Supporter 2019
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:13:06 PM »
Visited the Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam for some gravel to use on my 7YW prussian army.

NTM

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 06:49:35 AM »
I use mdf bases which along with the figure bases are painted brown. Figures attached to base with superglue. Apply matt medium to base then sprinkle on model railway talus and brown ballast. Leave to dry then apply patches of static grass once again with matt medium.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 08:54:48 AM »
Sean

I still have that great unit of WOTR household you did for me all those years ago (11 years). They fight well and have green flocked bases. The flock is still there after all those fights. :)

Sean Clark

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
    • View Profile
    • Buckets of Dice
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 08:20:19 AM »
Goodness me! That's when glue WAS glue.

martin goddard

• RFCM Admin Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight