Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Basing  (Read 413 times)

Lluis of Minairons

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Re: Basing
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »
I've got in love with wood  :-*
Seriously, with the time I've got fond of Litko plywood bases above the rest of materials - although I still use plastic occasionally.

John Watson

• Star Supporter
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 05:12:56 PM »
I paint figures first. Then superglue painted figures to PP plastic base. Then wash and varnish figures. Then cover white part of base with PVA glue and immediately dip the base into sieved sharp sand. Let this set.
Once set I use cheap acrylic paint (muddy brown colour) all over the sand. I then dry brush high light with a lighter brown. Finally I dob PVA randomly on the bases and immediately flock the bases with static grass.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 10:10:51 AM »
For speed and efficiency I use this method, especially when preparing an army quickly for a game.

I undercoat all my PP plastic bases with black, white or shades of brown first. Next I superglue on the painted figures. I don't usually add filler to disguise the figure bases.

Next I coat the base with PVA and cover with beach sand, leaving one or two very small stones for effect. The brown undercoat will make the sand look darker so no need to paint it. White or cream undercoat will give a natural sand effect. Using black undercoat gives an urban effect.

I add sticky grass tufts or urban scenics if required. Finally, finish off with a coat of spray varnish.

For snipers, command bases, guns etc I will spend more time on painting and dry brushing and add more scenics.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
I forgot to say that I use spray paint for the undercoating of the bases!