Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GW contrast paint  (Read 230 times)

SimonC

• Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
GW contrast paint
« on: June 20, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
Lots of comments about GW paints on 28mm figures. But here is a specific PP experiment.

The GW 'grey' contrast primer, with 4 contrast colours  - flesh, red , blue & green .

First up some sharpeshooters. I did this primarily as an experiment for other green/khaki mono armies you might do.

Final product will some regular black and white touches

Next up some Zoaves for a bit of colour.

Final product with some black , white and silver touches

Overall not at speedy as you think. With a sloppy wash technique you can be fast, knowing that you will be round to touch up with an opaque colour. Here you are painting 'in the lines' as you want the primer to show through.

I also noticed that I missed quite a few spots first time round. Going back to touch up isn't that easy once its dried.

BIG bad point - and this isn't a fault of the paint, but the fact that you are only putting 1 coat on, is that the paint is easy to chip. Normally, there would be primer, wash ,2 dry brush  then final glaze for the same effect. Here its just one coat over  the primer  - so is far more delicate

BUT actually it was easy to do !   it was like colour by numbers. So has a somewhat relaxing vibe to it all. Knowing you can get the colour right out the pot without worrying about mix , paint, medium... all taken away. So if you a looking for something that allows a bit of midfullness then perhaps this is it.

Thumbs up from me.

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
Re: GW contrast paint
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Simon. It seemed particularly effective on the green for the sharpshooters.

And not too sloppy on the Zouaves either ;)

Radar

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
    • Keep Your Powder Dry
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
Again, thanks Simon.

Question: how will you paint your next batch of figures -  normal paint method or GW Contrast?

(The flesh looks particularly good)

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
Thank you Simon. A good review with the points i am interested in, all covered.  Ta.

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
Indeed very useful. May try it out myself as it does look particularly effective.

Rittervonbek

• Supporter 2019
  • Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »
Might have to try some on horses.