Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So, what do we think of it all? Thoughts on Issue 1  (Read 244 times)

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
So, what do we think of it all? Thoughts on Issue 1
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:48:07 PM »
After all the work put in by both contributors and our esteemed Editor, I was hoping that there might be a little more reaction and banter around each issue of The Mill. To kick things off, here are a few comments on the articles within our first instalment:

- WW2 Russia: nice little article, with some well-executed photos of some very nicely done miniatures - excellent!
 - 15mm- Manufactured Scenery: who'd have known there were so many folk out there making scenery in 15mm?
 - Company profile - Admiralty Miniatures: really nice to see another 15mm manufacturer joining in the fun: this is certainly not a range I'd have stumbled across otherwise!
 - PBI's Dutch Uncle: I recognised this army photo from the PBI rules, but knew nothing about its history: I now feel a little less ignorant
 - Pierre's ACW: really inspiring photos of some superbly-painted figures
 - Battle report using Longships – Wrath of the Vikings: great figures and scenery (yet very much of the "practical and achievable" variety, rather than glossy magazine showpieces) and a nice little report
 - Gamette- Duel: we enjoyed this (using PlayMobil figures, as we'd not yet got the proper Piggy versions) and invented some further reasons for the fight and - most importantly - gory outcomes
 - Weymouth Wargames Weekender Report: great pictures that really captured the spirit of this annual event
 - 3D printed Western buildings: a tight, focused overview showing what is now possible from 3D printing - and very topical with the then-newly-released Western rules
 - Normandy: a very readable explanation of the creation and painting of a PBI force, with photos of some great-looking miniatures
 - OAAH Beta On Mars - going Large: very practical piece on producing an force sourced from a variety of manufacturers that can really be said to be out of this world!
 - Kev's painted figures: more lovely - and varied - painting inspiration from Mr Fat Wally himself
 - ACW illustrated: some very nice clean pictures of ACW scenery on a scale of 1:1!
 - Days of Yore: a trip down memory lane (certainly before my time) - aren't we so spoiled for choice nowadays?
 - Dungeon Fight: an interesting explanation of some work-in-progress rules, with nice photos of the home-made scenery accompanying an after-action report
 - Sudan: a brief overview of the RFCM PITS rules, accompanied by yet more inspiring painting
 - China made buildings: out of paper, not clay: these look as good "in the flesh" as they do in the photo
 - Catalan Galleys for use in POE: not just lovely ships, but guidance on how to make your own!
 - 15mm vehicles: some nice historical context on how 15mm figures got matched with 1/100 vehicles

Wow - what a lot of articles in that first edition!

What did you like, or dislike, or want more of?

Leman

• Star Supporter
  • Hog the Limelight
  • If it's too hard, I can't do it.
    • View Profile
Re: So, what do we think of it all? Thoughts on Issue 1
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:12:23 AM »
A good idea Colonel, it has stimulated me to going back and taking another look. Not normally into WWII but will take a look at the Normandy article to see if confining activity to a small area may make it a viable option. Having painted up my 1914 BEF force I’ve found I’m actually quite good at doing mono-colour armies.

Big Mike

• Wild Boar
  • "Bring up the PIAT!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
Yes, I agree it is very good as a coffee table magazine as well as a current ideas journal. I am going back to thumb through it and re-read or fully read articles. It has created a a head of steam for me as I have another article for the next issue and planning one for the following one.

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
This is good news. The Mill has still not spread widely so far. Many i speak to have not read it or heard of it. Albeit some of those have not read or heard of much at all :)
I am hoping that just by keeping going it will "permeate"?
It is marketed as 15mm for obvious reasons but possibly some other scale players, board gamers and skirmishers etc might give it a browse?
Once issue 4 is published (end of September 2019?) , maybe we should do/ have some feedback etc on how it might be improved.

Those who have contributed so far have really made the magazine nice.
One problem is that gamers may not think themselves "worthy" in terms of anything to contribute. I really want submissions to reflect everyday wargaming thoughts and notes. In may ways I would rather not have huge staged battles which are not accessible by the masses.
A second problem is that 15mm makers have not come "onboard".  A shame, but maybe that is contributing to a 15mm decline?  i write to them and they enthusiastically do nothing. But i will try some more. I am excluding 18/20mm makers, as they are splitting the audience deliberately.

On a very positive note, the Mill can continue with just 3 pages of content per quarter. An achievable target.  This is because it owes nothing to advertisers or subscribers in terms of money.  Additionally it is the intention to keep all editions constantly available. Think that is a first?

Another thought is that of rotating editorship if the work gets too much?

Simon's nice start image is also giving the magazine some special identity.

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 09:52:02 AM »
Some good thoughts there, Martin.

Do let me know if I can take some of the editorial burden off you no and then - I should have a little more time for such things after September.

Simon

Martin Smith

• Supporter 2019
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
I’ve posted on the Society of Ancients forum, and also the Fanaticus forum, to ask for feedback. Will pass any I get on 👍

Martin Smith

• Supporter 2019
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »
Couple of replies came back from Fanaticus, both more ‘generic’, about The 15 Mill, rather than edition 1 in particular-

Keith M. (New Zealand gamer) - “A good edition Martin, thanks for alerting me to it. I was impressed with many of the armies pictured, all of which were very impressive. I particularly liked Henry Tudor & friends, partly as a result of having this army in my lead pile. I suspected they were Peter Pig figures. Nicely painted, based and with plenty of standards. That said all the armies were well presented. It is good to see a good selection of well presented armies. 15mm is too often associated with poorly presented armies. As to terrain I also liked the BUAs, all first class, for different reasons”

Greg K. (Australian gamer) - “ I think that this is a great initiative. I particularly enjoyed viewing the various painted figures. “

My own, quickly scribbled, thoughts on The 15 Mill Edition 1, in particular, after a quick rescan could be summed up as:-

All of the articles with accompanying photo’s are much appreciated. Eye candy is ALWAYS  a bonus. Pierre’s ACW, Sudan and Kev’s painted figures- gorgeous, hard to imagine they’re 15mm, not something larger.
Mars article and the Dungeon piece were well written, with useful comments on ‘how’ the rules mechanisms work (these particular sci-fi and fantasy aspects wouldn’t normally float my boat, but I still enjoyed reading them. Variety is important to appeal to all aspects of 15mm, I guess).
The list/analysis of available terrain, 15mm Manufactured Scenery, was most comprehensive and thus very useful, especially when listing some of the more peripheral manufacturers.
The ACW ‘full sized terrain’ pics were good to see.
WWII Dutch article - interesting, informative and an unusual subject.
Weymouth Weekender. Made you want to sign up to the next one!

All-in-all, an excellent initiative. If I could summarise my thoughts on what I like most about The 15 Mill, it might be -

Great photo’s , and lots of varied subject matter.

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »
Many thanks for these detailed and insightful comments, Martin.

Now we would like more such thoughts from others too, please! Please include things we could do better, and also ideas for future issues (at which point you run the risk of Mr Pig co-opting you to write something yourself!).