Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Next Big Thing?  (Read 303 times)

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
The Next Big Thing?
« on: June 16, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
It’s been a while since Martin released a completely new range and accompanying set of rules, with the recent focus being on updating and extending existing projects.

Out of interest, is there a NBT on the horizon - something completely new getting the Piggy treatment?

And if not, what should it be, and would time commitments allow such an undertaking at this stage?

Mike6t3

• Star Supporter
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Big Thing?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »
How about one of the Jacobite Rebellions ? Either the 15 or 45 would make for a good pre battle game too.

Nick

• Star Supporter
  • Wild Boar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:54:39 PM »
I think the Crimean War would lend itself well to an RFCM ruleset.

Nick

Alex M

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »
Would welcome both those ideas , how about South American Wars of independence ? Or french and Indian war ?

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:10:23 PM »
Thanks for the interest.
All things are possible of course. However the sculpting list  is  a bit full at the moment.  Not sure if that is good or bad?
We can easily put some great ideas together. There is plenty of good thinking here on the group. No need to cast the net wider.

The problem/challenge comes from having so many active ranges at the moment, that other  stuff tends not to get a look in.  Frustrating for me too, but I do keep "whittling" away :)

Current short term plans are 11 packs of Union generals. 20 packs of WW2, 4 packs of Serbians plus 13 re-builds of older packs.  Phew!   Also 20 packs of US for Vietnam and 9 for WOTR. that is just over 1 year of work.  As always the question of which of these to leave out?

Remember the companies that did Carlist wars in 25mm. Lot of enthusiasm when they came out. Don't hear much about them now?

But more SS, samurai and Old guard will still sell.

Not trying to be a kill joy but I would rather try to sneak a surprise in than promise too much :(

So never say never!

shedman

• Piglet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 08:34:28 AM »
Remember the companies that did Carlist wars in 25mm. Lot of enthusiasm when they came out. Don't hear much about them now?

But they don't do them in 15mm and although QRF and Fantassin do them, they are not Peter Pig :D

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »
Good point. That might be the next big thing?

Colonel Kilgore

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »
Current short term plans are 11 packs of Union generals. 20 packs of WW2, 4 packs of Serbians plus 13 re-builds of older packs.  Phew!   Also 20 packs of US for Vietnam and 9 for WOTR. that is just over 1 year of work.  As always the question of which of these to leave out?

Wow - that's an impressive list. My vote would be that none get left out :)

My alter ego is very excited by the US Vietnam in particular.

Simon

Mike6t3

• Star Supporter
  • Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 05:04:58 PM »
I hope the WW1 French mounted dragoons are on the "rebuild" list  :)

martin goddard

• Star Supporter Admin
  • Hog the Limelight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 05:14:37 PM »
You never know?  I don't either. :)

sjwalker51

• Domestic Pig
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »
Playing Devil’s Advocate, I suspect that the individual ACW general packs, while ‘nice to have’, are unlikely to ever break even, despite the duplication of figures? I guess WW2 will always sell well. The WW1 Serbians look lovely and I’m sure several people will buy large armies but the demand will then rapidly subside, while Vietnam and WOTR will always be niche subjects but ones in which PP offers the most comprehensive range in 15mm and is therefore the ‘go to’ supplier.

Would be interesting (if not commercially sensitive) to know which PP ranges are the most popular and how each has fared since launch (in total packs sold per year) if such information exists.

Commercially, it makes sense to round out already popular ranges with a few extra packs or extend the scope of the period covered - like those extra Mexicans and Federales for the Old West, Arabs to take on the WW1 Turks, WW1 East Africa (2, soon to be 3, good ranges in 28mm but nothing in 15mm) etc.